Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!!!

I have a 98 camaro ls1 and lately after driving it for awhile the engine temp gets to a lil above 210 and then the car will bog down and shut off on me. When it does this I let it cool awhile and it will start back up just fine. I had a problem before with a short in my O2 wire that was blowing fuses and causing it to do the same thing but now it is fixed and the fuses are fine. But, last night I was driving my car and I only drove about 20 miles and the engine temp rose to the third line (the one after 210) and stayed there for a lil until I shut the car off and let it cool down because it should never get that high and I didn't want to do any damage. Does anyone at all have possible solutions or know what the problem could be???
Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like your fans aren't coming on. I'd start there.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Teching In

here is something I left out about the fans... Before when I was having my fuse problems, the one relay for I think cooling fan 3 was making the fan run constantly even with the car shut off whenever you would plug the relay in. Then all of a sudden it stopped turning the fan on constantly. So i switched the relays for the cooling fans with other relays for the pcm and starter and the car still started which tells me that the relays are still working. What would I have to do to check if the fans are turning on or not?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

If all the relays are good and the fans are continuously running, sounds like you might have another short. Also, what's the condition of the thermostat and coolant level. Just more stuff to check off your list while troubleshooting.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 AM

Aside from the obvious fans not working reply, it definitely sounds like there is some kind of short or wiring problem.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CJohnsonZ28
What would I have to do to check if the fans are turning on or not?

(1) Wait for the car to heat up to the normal turn on temp.
(2) Open hood.
(3) Look at fans.

Have you checked the fluid levels and everything? Could be air in the system as well. Possibly a coolant leak causing some air bubbles which will make the car overheat.

Quick Reply: Please Help!!!