Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my A4 toast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is my A4 toast?

So last night, I actually did not drive home like a dick.

I pull in to my parking structure around 9:30PM and go up to my apt.

This morning, I go down to start my car around 5:30AM and I see a trail of fluid behind my car. look down and touch it, and sure enough it is pink/red and smells of tranny fluid (doesn't smell bad/burnt).

I start the car and shift into reverse and nothing. Drive, nothing. No clunk, It's like it is in park/neutral.

I push it out of the way and drop the lift to lower my wifes jeep. (We share one spot which uses a lift).

We push the Camaro back into the parking stall and drive, following the trail of tranny fluid. I see it about a block or two back. I didn't go any further than that as I had to drop her off for work and we had already wasted enough time.

I have eibach springs in the front and deep transmission pan (not a good combination). When I was under my car changing spark plugs the other day, I noticed the tranny pan was dented and scratched.

The only thing I can think of is that I scraped on a dip or pothole one too many times and a leak or hole formed and it was dripping for those last two blocks.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can check tomorrow, when I finally get a chance to look at it?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

id check your pan,seals, and lines... maybe your cooler lines came lose? id say your ok, just dont drive it til fixed.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, you've got a lift. That should def help when you get the chance to check it out. I'd start by adding tranny fluid. You're not really (or maybe you will if it's super bad) going to know where it's coming from if there isn't any fluid. Also, this doesn't mean the tranny is shot. The whole thing works on the fluid, so if you're low/out...no go. Remember to check it while it's running.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you lost fluid then then that is why your transmission is not engaging. check where the leak is coming from. Might be cooler lines or your pan.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. It was the front corner of my tranny pan. Scraped it, one too many times.

I can't see the hole, but if I tilt the pan's front, right corner down, the residual fluid comes out. I can wipe it and it comes right out.

This is one time I am glad that I didn't toss or sell my original pan.