Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Whats everyone doing for bumpstops?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Whats everyone doing for bumpstops?

Had my wheels off the other day to do my brakes and noticed the stock bump stops are rotted to hell so I ripped them off. What is everyone using? Are you using any at all? I really dont wanna have to buy another over priced pos part from the stealership
Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are discontinued so no stealership. Some are using a Jeep bump stop with minor mods that's poly, Strano sells them. I've read of some using 3rd gen rubber stops so I picked up a set from the local salvage yard when getting a few other parts. $4 so I'm not out much and they are a better rubber than the foam rubber in our OEM ones. I'm also ditching the spacers and will probably roll my fender lips just incase.

I've also read some post about using 4th gen Z28 or V6 bump stops instead of the SS ones; that can't be the case because the stops are the same size and foam rubber material minus the spacers. In fact all of the 4th gen stops at the yard had fallen apart, all that was left was the metal plate. All the 3rd Gen stops were dirty but solid and the ones I grabbed cleaned up well.

BTW I prefer rubber to poly in this role.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure its energy suspension 9.9137. I found them on amazon for like 15 bucks with free shipping. Had to take a sawzall to the lip on the bumpstop mount but after that they bolted right in!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 160 Posts

Bought the last two OEMs at my local dealership. Guy said that they still had a bunch at the GM parts house that they order from. I tried the ES polys but they were way to hard.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:59 AM
TECH Regular

I'm running the energy suspension jeep bump stops. I had to modify the bumpstop a little bit to fit but they do fit. I must warn you that they are stiff, so if your running a slammed set up be prepared to have your ride quality go to pots over large dips and bumps. I was thinking you can probably drill holes in the urethane to make it less harsh but I haven't tried it personally.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I put on a set of Prothane Jeep ones for about $22 shipped. There are tons of OEM pieces on ebay. I just didn't want to spend $75-150 on a pair of bump-stops. I haven't plowed into them yet and I'm sure they wont be too forgiving. However, it wont be any harder then what was on there before....solid metal.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the last one at two dealerships a few years back. They cost me way too much but if they last another 8-10 yrs I am ok with that.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use the 3rd gen models, work great and clean them with some tire shine and they will look good too.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I swapped my SS one's over to the Z28 versions. They ride a bit better and are not as harsh. I would go with those if yo can find a set. They aer on ebay.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Guz
I swapped my SS one's over to the Z28 versions. They ride a bit better and are not as harsh. I would go with those if yo can find a set. They aer on ebay.
See that's the issue (and what I planned to do first). Went to the savage yard and looked at all the 4th gens, 3 v6 cars and 1 Z28; all of their stops were destroyed, as in fell appart nothing but the metal plate was still there. Only 1 had pieces left and it was the same square foam rubber crap, minus the SLP spacer, as on my SS. I don't know why people are saying that they got "4th gen Z28 stops" because they aren't any different that the SS ones; the SS, WS6 and Firehawk just get that 1/2" spacer.

The 3rd gens (2 at the yard), on the other hand, all had their stops intact. Nice real rubber triangle that is thicker than my current stops. I picked the nicest set and used blackmajic to clean them up. They look new now and they will go on the car when I roll the fenders (rolling them b/c I ditching the spacers and don't want to chance hitting the fenders now).
Old 05-28-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Factory OEM bumpstops here on both my Camaros (Z28 versions, my SS ones were trashed and I removed the spacers per Strano's advice, and the RS ones seem the same as the Z28 ones)... Maybe someone can sleuth out the ACDelco part # for the OEM ones -- may be easier to come by...

PS: the SS stops ARE different from the Z28 ones, they are a higher durometer rubber -- phone SLP if you want verification...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-28-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Whats everyone doing for bumpstops?