Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ok, what parts do I need to order? Tranny is torn down.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, what parts do I need to order? Tranny is torn down.

Help a First Time Trans Rebuilder out.

Here is a quick recap. I bought this 98 SS with 220,000 miles on it from my buddy for pennies. The trans had no 5th or 6th gear. Just spun like neutral. Shifted perfect 1-4 with no buzzing or grinding or popping out. It didn't hum or vibrate in 1-4. So, I tear it down and see that the main shaft splines are gone. Same on what I believe it the 5th/6th cluster. See below.

Now everything else looks good to me. Just a few small chips here & there which reading the manual says they can be blended & fixed. Look here...

Blurry closeup of the same chip...

The arrow shows a very slight dip in the lip of the gear.

Syncros & gear wear look fine to me but I'm a rookie. Take a look.

So here's the questions.

1) If the syncros and gears look good on the shaft and there was no problem before do I need to remove everything off the shafts? (I know I need to remove the gears from the main shaft)

2) Do the gears and syncros look good based on my crappy pictures?

3) Besides a basic rebuild kit, main shaft & 5th/6th cluster, what else do I need to order? Or better yet, a list of what is needed so I can get an apples to apples comparison between vendors. Everyone has a different Stage 1,2 & 3 kit that don't exactly mean the same thing.

I love the front ends on these things!

Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You're inspecting the teeth on the slider ring of the synchro and on the gear that slide together on a shift for wear. Example: http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...o/DSCN0172.jpg looks chewed up a bit and replacement is advisable. In comparison, your reverse gear has near-perfect teeth on it.

The rear tapered mainshaft bearing looks good in http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...o/DSCN0160.jpg but worn in http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...o/DSCN0150.jpg ... carefully inspect all bearings before ordering parts.

1) You're going to need to in order to replace the blockers, keys and springs of the rebuild kit.

Your first gear chip is too easy to replace not to. If the countershaft shows absolutely no damage from it, that's good luck.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obviously you need a 5/6 cluster gear and mainshaft.

Plan on some billet 3/4 keys, full set of blockers and a steel shift fork too. If it were me, I would replace gears that have noticable wear patterns. I dont think I very minor chip is a big concern but wear patterns are bad. Look close at the hub sliders especially the 1/2 slider and particurly at the dog teeth. If the teeth show wear, replace it.

It hard to tell much about the syncros from those pics and there are no closeups of the 1/2 slider. Bust it apart and take closeups in sunlight.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 AM
FormerVendor

If you are contemplating a clutch swap since you have it all apart, today is the last day of our Monster Clutch sale!

Matt
817-750-2000
Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

I have a perfectly good used t56 mainshaft pulled from a working 2002 fbody t56 with less that 50,000 miles on it. I pulled the shaft to do the viper upgrade and it is like new. If you have any interest send me a pm!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

pics here....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...ake-offer.html
Old 05-31-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UMD_Jesse
From that pic, the main shaft looks good.