Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tower Braces

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tower Braces

Has anyone installed an adjustable tower brace? Are there advantanges/disadvantages to using an adjustable TB over one of the solid TB's? I assume the brace can be tightened for more or less stiffness. It also adds an aggressive look to the engine bay. Are there any disadvantages?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

not needed
Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Your going to hear the guys that swear by a STB and guys that say they're not required. IMO, if you want one to make your engine bay look good, then see if you can pick up a used one. Otherwise, save your money for something else.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are nice to lean on... thats why i got one.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

Well, the tower brace will be my first suspension mod. So, hopefully, it will get me fired-up enough to get a torque arm/tunnel brace and LCA's. I am still waiting on 3-point sub frames. But, 3-point SFC's are impossible to find for convertible F-bodies. I got the adjustable tower brace (used) because I thought it looks cool. That brings me back to the original question. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to an adjustable tower brace? But, then again, if there is no advantage to a tower brace period, there must not be an advantage to an adjustable tower brace.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by man2004
Well, the tower brace will be my first suspension mod. So, hopefully, it will get me fired-up enough to get a torque arm/tunnel brace and LCA's. I am still waiting on 3-point sub frames. But, 3-point SFC's are impossible to find for convertible F-bodies. I got the adjustable tower brace (used) because I thought it looks cool. That brings me back to the original question. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to an adjustable tower brace? But, then again, if there is no advantage to a tower brace period, there must not be an advantage to an adjustable tower brace.
I might be losing it but I have never seen an adjustible TB for a 4th gen. I know you can get 2 pt and 3 pt. ones, but never seen an adj. one. If you try a search on tower braces, there was a thread that was like 4 pages long a couple months ago, looking a pros and cons of tower braces.

Check UMI or BMR for convertible SFC they have them on there website. 2 pt SFC should be sufficient unless you run your car on a track
Old 05-27-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

I am rather sensitive to how my car feels and I feel no difference with my STB on or off, but it does look good. Our cars don't have struts anyway, they are a spring on shock/control arm setup. Now I definitely felt the 2-point SFCs and I hear the 3-point are good for convertibles. I would say shocks should be the next thing. LCAs are good for wheel hop issues. I felt a change in replacing the torque arm as well.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
I am rather sensitive to how my car feels and I feel no difference with my STB on or off, but it does look good. Our cars don't have struts anyway, they are a spring on shock/control arm setup. Now I definitely felt the 2-point SFCs and I hear the 3-point are good for convertibles. I would say shocks should be the next thing. LCAs are good for wheel hop issues. I felt a change in replacing the torque arm as well.
Several people have mentioned this, I assume as a reason for not needing a STB. Think about this for a moment.....Where, or how, do the shocks/springs and upper a-arms mount??? They form a sandwhich, which mounts on the lower a-arm at the "bottom", and the shock tower at the top. Think the upward force of the LCA and spring simply push against nothing?
Old 05-27-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

And the overall need for a brace is based on the assumption that the towers move around a significant amount. What is significant? .1"? .01"?

And lets say it does move ... you are bracing it to ... wait for it ... something else that moves.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I'm the weird one cuz I felt a difference... not huge but definitely a difference. Like others, it gives a good place to lean on when working under the hood

the adjustable ones... I'd assume the adjustable part helps in installing it
Old 05-27-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Since the towers are so floppy you can adjust camber with an adjustable STB.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Since the towers are so floppy you can adjust camber with an adjustable STB.
But what do you anchor it to? If your anchor points move, your alignment moves with it.

And think about it ... for those of us without an STB and if the towers move, why don't we chew through tires?
Old 05-27-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
But what do you anchor it to? If your anchor points move, your alignment moves with it.

And think about it ... for those of us without an STB and if the towers move, why don't we chew through tires?
Somebody missed the sarcasm there.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mitchntx
And the overall need for a brace is based on the assumption that the towers move around a significant amount. What is significant? .1"? .01"?

And lets say it does move ... you are bracing it to ... wait for it ... something else that moves.
"Mitch", normally I pretty much agree with you, but look at it this way...an STB is somewhat like a sway bar, in that it braces one side of the car against the forces generated by the other....
Old 05-27-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

but it looks so cute......and it matches my interior
Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
"Mitch", normally I pretty much agree with you, but look at it this way...an STB is somewhat like a sway bar, in that it braces one side of the car against the forces generated by the other....
A sway bar has something that anchors it to a fixed point which allows the bar to twist on an axis.

If the bar wasn't bolted to the frame, it wouldn't do anything.

An STB is like nailing a single 2x4 across the top of 2 fence posts.

But, we've been down this road before. Some claim they feel it ... some claim they don't.