General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car isnt starting???? clicks and new batt but nothiong...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default car isnt starting???? clicks and new batt but nothiong...

like the title says...i turn the key and the starter will click but wont crank. car has power i even tried a new batter it does the same thing....

the weird part is i started the car just to move it in my drive way then i washed it and then the 2nd time i started it the car wouldnt hold an idle AT ALL seemed like maybe it just didnt have enough juice to keep running even off the alt...3rd time and NOTHING but clicks from the starter... could it be my starter?? i would think if the starter went then it would click at all??
Old 05-26-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the battery cables are clean and tight - then check battery voltage with the car off. Sounds like low battery voltage to me on the first battery, that's why the PCM was trying to relearn the idle. When you say new battery are to talking about an actual new one or another one?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you hear fuel pump prime
Old 05-26-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

fuel pump primes and not a NEW battery but another optima thats been working good in my beater car...i even tried adding a jump pack then tried jumper cables but still only one click and no cranking over.? i got the starter tested at autozone and it passed??? they didnt test the solenoid on the starter though for some reason?? could a bad solenoid be the culprit and if so wouldnt i get no click at all when i turned the key?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i do recall when i FIRST started the car to move it in my drive way it did make a slight odd sound when cranking over kinda like a pop or "jump" when cranking... i didnt pay too much attention to it just thought maybe i had left the car sitting for a few days and thats why but it was a sound i never heard before when starting the car...usually if i let it sit for weeks itll crank smoothly but slow until it fires and then thats that..
Old 05-27-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

well WTF!!!!!!!! i went out n got a new starter and put it in i cranked the car over once it seemed to work....then i do an oil change and NOTHING just one click!!!!! WTF is goin on???? what could possibly have happened when the car was sitting to cause this?? the batteries are both good and new starter and i just get one click???? all the fuses and relays are good. wires are all clean and tight...
Old 05-27-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok and to rule out the possibility of it being the battery i just bought a BRAND NEW one and still...one click from the starter!!!!! every fuse every wire is clean and in good tight working order WTF seriously is up with the car??? could it POSSIBLY at my moroso shut off switch? ive checked all the wire and terminals there too and well its worked perfect for a long time now... the switch will still turn on and off the power to the car...
Old 05-27-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Use a screwdriver and touch the two terminals together on the starter. If it just gives you one click its a bad starter.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can also bang on the starter solenoid with a hammer and if it starts then it also would indicate a bad starter.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Check your grounds.
2. Is your starter overrunning?
3. Do you have a damaged flexplate?
4. Can you start it by jumping the solenoid?
5. Test continuity between ignition switch and terminal on starter (if #4 was no)
6. Bypass moroso switch (bolt eyelets together) and test.. Switch could be producing a nasty current drop. Does it get hot?
Old 05-28-2011, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^did all those options and still had the same problem...tomorro I'm just gonna rip every wire out n start over as it MUST be something electrical that I'm not finding and its nothing to do with my alarm or vatts or security/bcm I know that for a fact
Old 05-28-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ripping wires out is not going to fix it. Don't let your car get the best of you.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Problem solved and I feel like an idiot but oh well I returned everything I bought...anyways started with all my ground wires and the forst one i went to was the boem batt terminal ground that mounts on the pass side wheel well...anyways it was tight BUT long story short I repainted my engine bay and guess after a while it mist have just lost connectivity so I filed away and bam everything works...Cept now my lnc-200 launch controller engages even when I'm not on The clutch and in random gears

Quick Reply: car isnt starting???? clicks and new batt but nothiong...