View Full Version : Newb from VA w/ a 77 GMC stepper looking to put an LS engine in it.

WhatWouldSeanDo
05-26-2011, 03:41 PM
I have perused this board for many years as a non-member, but now that I am becoming far more serious about getting and building an LS series engine for my 77 GMC step side, I figure it is time to register.

Here is a rendering of my vision for my truck and some of my plans for it. The one thing I desperately need to figure out is what engine and direction to go with it to get the 5-600 reliable, streetable HP I desire. I hope to figure that out with the help of the members of this board.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/LexTalonis/glouriousbasterd.jpg

The rendering was done by Billy Fish, who did an awesome job bouncing ideas back and forth with me.

Some of the mods in it are:
-Custom painted 20" Coys with knock offs
-Shaved handles, stock mirrors, drip rails, side markers, stake holes.
-Smoothed tailgate w/ louvered Mar-K tailgate and Sir Michaels roll pan w/ iron cross lights
-Custom made grille using black mesh like the modern GMC trucks.
-Custom louvered hood.
-Clear turn signals
-Iron cross peep mirrors
-Side exit exhaust right in front of rear tires.
-Satin flat black paint with a matte metal flake lime green for the wheels and roof.
-Custom pinstriping

I am anxiously awaiting my Porterbuilt Stage 2 rear (a brand new product, I pre-ordered) to bring the ass down, but retain my bed floor. I also am awaiting my viair 480c dual pack, air tank and assorted fittings. It will all be ran into a VU4 accuair valve controlled by an AVS 7 switch controller until I can save up for the full accuair e-level management. It will also have Bell Tech front and rear sway bars and 3" drop spindles.

For now the 327 in it will get a tune up, but after the suspension/ body stuff is done, I plan to start building up an fuel injected LSx family engine to the tune of 5-600hp. I haven't exactly figured out what engine or how I will build it to get there, but I know the end goal. It will most likely be a bored and built junkyard engine with new bits and pieces. I will also keep it manual, probably a six speed.

I don't expect a sports car but a fun driver truck is my main intention.