General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

So my headlight cover flew off on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So my headlight cover flew off on the highway

I wasn't sure what section to post this.

My cam swap was just finished and I was driving on the highway at 50-60mph and all of a sudden my headlight cover flies off over my roof.

So aside from the paint damage which I'm just going to ignore for now, I really hate driving around missing it looking stupid.

What happened is both of the screws, the plastic around them broke off the headlight assembly itself.. So I hope I don't need a whole new assembly.. I'm not sure what I need to order or even how the process is done, I don't understand how you tighten those screws onto it in the first place?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theyre usually tightened with phillips screws. The cover is screwed to the base.

look for headlight covers on ebay. Its simple.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

From what I can see (and mind you, I've had a few drinks), it looks like your cover ripped off part of your headlight assembly. Unless you're petty handy with jb weld (ie: not me), I would be looking for a new headlight assembly. All that plastic that is still attached to your cover is suppose to be part of your headlight assembly that is still in your car.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have 4 mounting points for that door to mount to the assembly itself, and by the looks of things, I see 3 points on the assembly that are completely broken off. I don't see the 4th, maybe the camera angle, dunno. You're gonna need a new headlight assembly, definately.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Any idea where the best place is to buy one?
preferably just the plastic piece.. I can't be spending $200 on this damn thing, a headlight assembly with the motor and cover and lights runs like $200-400

Last edited by El-Ess-Won; 05-26-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im new to trans am world, is this common ? I know the thing that move the head ligh up and down will eventually going out soon on these car, but the thing falling of ?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Junkyard, Craigslist, Ebay... If you're looking to just get the broken part, you're likely gonna have to hit the junkyard and completely disassemble it at the car at one of those u pull it places.

and to the other poster, this isn't exactly common. Something happened to those connection points to cause them to break. They didn't just spontaneously all shatter at the same time. The usualy causes for damage there would be a previous accident, loose screws holding the cover on, something physical hitting the light assembly hard one or more times, sitting on it, and in the case of mine, the damn thing being out of adjustment causing the door to slam against the hood causing it to break a mounting point.