Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES Light on and Flashes under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SES Light on and Flashes under acceleration

I just picked up my car last night. I had a cam and stall installed and had it dynotuned. My trans took a crap and had it rebuilt and the stall. The only thing that needed a few tweaks was my shift points. I drove it home and my SES light came on. The car would buck going lower speed 20-40mph. I found out my air filter wasn't in. So I went and bought one and put in and the car stopped bucking at lower speeds and it doing fine. When I give it gas/accelerate the light flases, but only when giving it gas, but just curising down the road it just stays on. I know I need to have the codes read, but anyone else had this issue or possible idea whats wrong? Kind of nervous to drive the car.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Def get the code pulled asap. It sounds like it is probably a misfire code though. Check all your spark plugs, plug wires, etc and make sure everything is connected porperly.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Flashing light means multiple cylinder misfire. Get that checked out.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

flashing light is the worst thing . get that fixed asap dont drive it , fix it please.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Launching!

I had a Grand Am that did the same thing a few years ago and I took it out for a good run on the highway (didn't care about the car) but it stopped the light from coming on and the car drove awesome after that. I'm not saying that you should do this, saying what worked for me.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

I did check my spark plug wires and I touched one and it pretty much fell right off..
Old 05-27-2011, 02:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If they had the valve covers off they likely were just too rough with the wires removing them and might have broken one or a couple. You also might need a tune for the camshaft. With a bad tune or no tune on some cams bucking especially at lower speeds is common.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cnd99hawk
I had a Grand Am that did the same thing a few years ago and I took it out for a good run on the highway (didn't care about the car) but it stopped the light from coming on and the car drove awesome after that. I'm not saying that you should do this, saying what worked for me.
The good 'ole Italian tuneup.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm you might wanna talk to the place that you just picked your car up from... yikes!!! And you might wanna find someone else for any future work. If they didnt plug in something simpe like the spark plug wires... who know what else is wrong. Id re-check spark plug gap, make sure they are torqued right, all that stuff. Cant really see inside so I hope for your sake they didnt mess up anything internal.