Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunking and jerking from the rear end

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking and jerking from the rear end

I drive a '99 SS M6 LS3, every time I hit a bump, large or small, I can hear a "clunking" sound from the rear suspension area. Almost as if my spare was loose and just partying it up like the duke brother back there... obviously thats not the case because there is no spare. Also at the same time I can hear this "clunk" my car will "lurch/jerk". Feels just like it would if I was towing another car with a tow-strap and they were hitting there brakes around a corner. It also seems to "lurchjerk"" when I have the car in gear and cruising anywhere below 1500rpm in any gear. It stops "lurching" if I accelerate, take it above 1500rpm or press in on the clutch.

also when steering the car from side to side like a slalom the the steering feels tight but is delayed slightly. 8/ if that makes any sense.

I just re-installed the stock 10-bolt assembly. put a brand new Auburn carrier and 3.73 gears. they were installed with the whole housing out of the car by the shop I now work at. I put the whole thing back on my camaro. I've double checked and made sure all the suspension parts are properly torqued. Since I had everything out already I went ahead and installed new Edelbrock performance shocks as well so i wouldnt think its that either. other than the "jerking" the car rides fine just feels like the rear end is moving differently from the car.

suspension mods are:
eibach sport lines
edelbrock performance series shocks
*adjustable panhard bar(rod type)
*adjustable torque arm
*sub-frame connectors

the rest is stock. (*) dont know what mfg. everything upgraded with the
exception of the shocks was done by the previous owner who was very vague on the upgrades... I didnt even know about this stuff until after I bought the car and my buddy looked underneath and told me.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

I am also interested in this fix. My car seems to be doing the same exact thing yours is. I have slightly different suspension and a 9" with a locker.

suspension is:
rod/rod lca
lca relo
rod/poly adj. phb
subframe con.

Everything else is stock. Mine also kind of jolts on uneven roads because the rear feels like its floating.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the same boat as well. I am going to install a new tranny mount and see if that helps.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:21 AM
Teching In

Check the bolts that hold the rear caliper brackets to the rear end.
Had the same clunk. I had a moser 12 bolt put it and I guess they didn't tighten properly. They are through holes with bolts and nuts.

Quick Reply: Clunking and jerking from the rear end