Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best auto for my car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cool Best auto for my car?

i have a 2001 Camaro SS and the other day a met a dude who said the weakpoint of a manual f-body was the 10-bolt rear, and the weakpoint of the automatic trans f-body was the trans.

He said they had taken a auto trans out of a f-body that had only done burnouts and the 2nd and 4th rings were ruined.

So that being said, i wanna have fun with my car, not much but a burnout here and there and nailing the gas and hitting bout 120 a few more times than i should.

So what auto trans would be best for me w/o killing my fuel economy.
(i read the TH350 will kill it)

any info is useful-unless you say get a manual
(thats a suped up project that will be done a few years later)
Old 05-27-2011, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either get your 4L60E built or get a 4L80E. If you aren't haveing any problems though, I'm not sure what your worried about.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zracer323
Either get your 4L60E built or get a 4L80E. If you aren't haveing any problems though, I'm not sure what your worried about.

i wanted to know what would be best for when my trans finally does start to messup. bc eventually all parts need replacing or maintnence.

i want to be able to get on the gas hard and have no worries about anything breaking.

now then, which would be best the built 4L60E thats in it or the 4L80E? and can the 4L80E be built up any as well?

i know the 4L80E stock is much better than the 4L60E
Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are quite a few different options you can go with. Most of them depend on what you want to do with the car and how much power you want to make. If you are going to drag race the car a lot with 700+hp the 4L80e is the way to go. If it's going to be a street car with some track use one of our built 4L60e's will do everything you need it to.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
There are quite a few different options you can go with. Most of them depend on what you want to do with the car and how much power you want to make. If you are going to drag race the car a lot with 700+hp the 4L80e is the way to go. If it's going to be a street car with some track use one of our built 4L60e's will do everything you need it to.
guess the built 4L60e would be best for me. when i get the money ill check it out.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone have a link to a site that sells a kit for the 4L60e?

i would probably get the one with the strongest parts.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Nick V.
Does anyone have a link to a site that sells a kit for the 4L60e?

i would probably get the one with the strongest parts.
There is a lot more to consider with an auto than just parts. The way it is built is more important than what parts you use. There are plenty of kits out there with the best parts in the world, but if you don't assemble it correctly those nice parts will be trashed in a hurry. If you have the time and money to spend doing the R&D to get it right, building your own auto can be a rewarding experience. But if you don't have the time to remove the trans multiple times to do repairs or modifications to the setup it can be a very big headach. Our transmissions aren't the cheapest alternative but when you install them they work and work like they should. When you buy a built trans you are not only paying for the transmission itself but you are paying for that builders years of R&D. Our automatic transmission builder builds 4L60e transmissions literally all day long every day of the year. He has no other responsibility. Let me know if there is anything we can do for you.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a lot more to consider with an auto than just parts. The way it is built is more important than what parts you use. There are plenty of kits out there with the best parts in the world, but if you don't assemble it correctly those nice parts will be trashed in a hurry. If you have the time and money to spend doing the R&D to get it right, building your own auto can be a rewarding experience. But if you don't have the time to remove the trans multiple times to do repairs or modifications to the setup it can be a very big headach. Our transmissions aren't the cheapest alternative but when you install them they work and work like they should. When you buy a built trans you are not only paying for the transmission itself but you are paying for that builders years of R&D. Our automatic transmission builder builds 4L60e transmissions literally all day long every day of the year. He has no other responsibility. Let me know if there is anything we can do for you.
About your level 7 auto trans- do you happen to know how big of an impact it has on Fuel efficiency?

while i do want to make my car more powerful, it is my DD so i couldnt have its mpgs hit rock bottom.

but from what i can see the trans would definatly be worth the price.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 AM
FormerVendor

About your level 7 auto trans- do you happen to know how big of an impact it has on Fuel efficiency?

while i do want to make my car more powerful, it is my DD so i couldnt have its mpgs hit rock bottom.

but from what i can see the trans would definatly be worth the price.

None of our transmissions effect fuel mileage at all. Our Level 7 is a bad *** transmission for sure but overkill for most. If you aren't making over 700rwhp the Level 7 will be overkill. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

None of our transmissions effect fuel mileage at all. Our Level 7 is a bad *** transmission for sure but overkill for most. If you aren't making over 700rwhp the Level 7 will be overkill. Let me know if you have any more questions.

ok, well my longterm goal is to get the car around 400 hp and torque somewhere close to that number as well.

I just want a transmission that can take a bit of a beating w/o needing to replaced for a few years.

I drive alot in OD so alot of the time i go fast in OD. Ex.- on the highway
70mph-90mph

(only do more than 75mph on trips to a deep section of NC b/c thats everyones ridiclous speed on the way there)

Every now and then ill do 100+ on some backroads when they are deserted and every once in a while ill try to do a little burnout.

SO in your professional opinion which transmission would you reccomend for my habits and power goals?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look at their website (see Jeremy's sig) the Level 4 is good for 500rwhp. So that would probably be perfectly fine for you. If you really wanted to you could get the Level 5 but anything over that (and maybe even that) would be overkill for you.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

ok, well my longterm goal is to get the car around 400 hp and torque somewhere close to that number as well.

I just want a transmission that can take a bit of a beating w/o needing to replaced for a few years.

I drive alot in OD so alot of the time i go fast in OD. Ex.- on the highway
70mph-90mph

(only do more than 75mph on trips to a deep section of NC b/c thats everyones ridiclous speed on the way there)

Every now and then ill do 100+ on some backroads when they are deserted and every once in a while ill try to do a little burnout.

SO in your professional opinion which transmission would you reccomend for my habits and power goals?
A Level 4 would handle your power goals. But I would recommend a Level 5 for your driving style. The Level 5 will shift better and give you room to grow later if you want.

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
If you look at their website (see Jeremy's sig) the Level 4 is good for 500rwhp. So that would probably be perfectly fine for you. If you really wanted to you could get the Level 5 but anything over that (and maybe even that) would be overkill for you.
Exactly right ^
Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

alright, thanks for the info. i guess ill start saving up for the level 5, and in about a year or two after i get the trans i might have the car up to my 400hp goal.

the cool thing is it doesnt seem to be that expensive either. Im excited but to get that cash will take me a while since i have student loans and a car payment.

But i will definalty get one one day. and i should be able to put it in all by myself, if everythings there. sweet.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

When mine goes ill be going built 4l60e from either RMP or FLT.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

alright, thanks for the info. i guess ill start saving up for the level 5, and in about a year or two after i get the trans i might have the car up to my 400hp goal.

the cool thing is it doesnt seem to be that expensive either. Im excited but to get that cash will take me a while since i have student loans and a car payment.

But i will definalty get one one day. and i should be able to put it in all by myself, if everythings there. sweet.
Sounds good Nick. Just let me know when you are ready and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have between then and now. You shouldn't have any issues with installing it yourself either.

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
When mine goes ill be going built 4l60e from either RMP or FLT.
Just let me know when the time comes. I'd be happy to work something up for you.