LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Possible Optispark Issue?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Optispark Issue?

Hi all,

I have a '96 Formula that has ran great for 4 years, but recently started running bad. Found a small water leak under the front of the car, so assumed it may be a bad opti. Well, I've taken everything apart, including the opti, and found it to be pretty clean and dry inside. Can an opti be bad if its dry and clean? I see there is some kind of a optical pick up inside and wonder if those can go bad? If I put this back together with a new opti (please tell me there is an affordable alternative to the MSD and Delphi), and it still runs bad, where is the next place to look?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a small water leak can ruin an opti. you need to find the leak and fix that before putting another opti on. unfortunately, opti's are not cheap and are a pita to replace.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't just throw parts at it. Test and then ONLY replace what's bad. What if you replace the Optispark and have the same problem? You're out a bunch of time and money and still have the same problem. You have already done too much without any idea what the problem is.

So what exactly is "running bad?" Did you scan for codes?

Al 74 Camaro, 489, Glide, Dana 60. 9.00's all day long....
Old 05-27-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles are on the car? If it's a LOT, you could at least replace the distributor cap and rotor. And don't forget the blue Loctite on the rotor screws....

Search this Thread