LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem

So when i do a high rpm (5000-6500), hard shift, the clutch wont grab in the next gear (any gear but 1st). The rpms just flair, i can hear the clutch squaling, and i can even smell it sometimes. If i let off for just a second it will grab and i can hammer it and go like hell. Other than that the clutch will not slip at all in any gear. And no its not the tires spinning, im not retarded.
From what ive been told the clutch set up i have just cant handle the power im making and i need to up grade.

current set-up
mcload 600 series disc (should be able to handle 600hp) with a used lt4 pp built t-56
im making 475-500 crank hp
nitto dr's on the back
3.42 gears
nothing special

Any ideas?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Forgot to add, the disc has about 3000 miles on it and its done this since break in. Mcleod has no idea what the problem is and will not help me with the problem. The guy said hes never herd of this problem,"if the clutch slips it will do it all the time under load" This is what i was told when i called tech support. This is also the disc they recomended for my setup. The flywheel was re-surfaced when the disc was installed.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MandernachZ28
Forgot to add, the disc has about 3000 miles on it and its done this since break in. Mcleod has no idea what the problem is and will not help me with the problem. The guy said hes never herd of this problem,"if the clutch slips it will do it all the time under load" This is what i was told when i called tech support. This is also the disc they recomended for my setup. The flywheel was re-surfaced when the disc was installed.
When a clutch disk is on its way out, you'll see slippage the most when youre bangin' gears, but eventually when its worn enough out it'll slip all the time under load.

3000 miles and its slipping already? You've got a pretty stout engine but you shouldn't burn up a friction disk that quickly, unless you beat the living **** out of your car.

Only thing I can tell you to do, assuming there's nothing you can see outside of the bellhousing that would indicate a problem, is to pull your tranny and see whats going on with your clutch.

You said its slipping so bad to the point where it squeals and stinks, then its safe to say the flywheel and pressure plate are cooked and the friction disk is glazed to hell. You'll have to get your flywheel surfaced again and buy a new clutch anyway.

Check for any fluid on the friction disk, generally rear main seal leaks won't cause clutch slippage unless they're an extremely fast leak. I don't think thats your probem or you would have noticed it already. What you should look closely for is any signs of transmission fluid, which is usually red. Any small tranny fluid leak from the input shaft seal will run straight down the input shaft and into your clutch which will contaminate and cause slippage. I know this from experience, I burned up two new Spec clutches in 2000 miles each before I figured out what was causing the problem. It was a really slow input shaft seal leak-- it was slow enough that nothing would drip, I couldn't see any evidence till I took a close look at my friction disk.

Hope that helps, good luck man.