Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Now the car won't start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now the car won't start!!!

Ok... so here's the lay of the land.

Infinity Kappa 652.5i's - These I put in front doors

Rockford Fosgate HPC2206 - These were rear sail

Infinity Reference 452i - for the back deck.

The system sounds freaking awesome. The Kappa's worked out perfect as they are dual voice coil, and the Fosgates have plenty of bass for the stock system. For a cheap upgrade to the sound system, this worked out great.

Let me describe what happened though... and the problem I have right now.

We did the rear deck first, as it is the easiest. Those went in, everything is fine. Doors next... turned out these were the hardest. We get the driver side door one off and start putting the other one in. I didn't read in detail enough to know the tweeters were wired from the HU and the bass portion straight from the amp. It took us a while... but we got it wired right, put it back together, sounds great.

Started the car, moved it over a little to make the passenger side easier to work on. Everything is going awesome.

Proceed to put in the next 3 speakers. We get all 3 of them in, test everything the system sounds FANTASTIC.

Now, I go to start my car.... not starting. I get that "ticking" sound in the starter like it's not going to turn over... and then the weirdest thing happens. Everything internally shuts off.

So obviously there's an electrical problem somewhere. My question to the experts here is... Can these speakers alone cause something like this to happen. We took great care in putting them in, we didn't cut through any other wires. Nothing. Is there anyway that putting in these speakers popped a relay?

If you just turn the key forward and leave it, not trying to start the car. Everything turns on as it should. If you let it sit there for 30 seconds, the radio, and all the gauge lights shut off, and the gauges start going nuts. I'm so pissed.

We didn't have to modify anything to get these speakers to fit right. I don't understand how this could have happened. It was the easiest install I've ever had with speakers with cars... then this happened.

R.J. Casey
2000 Camaro
v6 w/ upgraded Monsoon Package
(I know.. sissy version of the car... I couldn't afford the SS or Z28 at the time)
Old 02-25-2004, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Default Update

We took out the last 3 speakers we put in: Front Right, And both sails... tried to start the car... nothing.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

if it is ticking, its your battery dude, take it out and have it tested
Old 02-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Teching In

yea.. I had it tested lunch. I bought a new one and it's charging now... hopefully that's it. I'll test it out when I get home from work. The only reason I wasn't dead set on it being the battery was the way the gauges and lights were acting. The mph gauge was jumping all over and flickering.

I'm not well versed in the electronics of the car as well. So after seeing that I didn't want to try to jump it and potentially blow something or do more damage.... Lookin like it's the battery though.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:17 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

so what was it?
Old 03-18-2004, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lmao, this is the first I've read of this post, as soon as he said ticking I'm thinking "duh, battery".... like watching that show street smarts, lol
Old 03-19-2004, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

Heh, I had my battery in my older 94 camaro die while I was driving it (alternator was bad and I had a big system), I was following my dad down a 35 mph street and my speedo said 112

I had to powerbrake it to my house basically to keep it running
Old 03-19-2004, 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Assassin
lmao, this is the first I've read of this post, as soon as he said ticking I'm thinking "duh, battery".... like watching that show street smarts, lol
tru that