Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

OBX Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBX Header Install

As a graduation present for myself, I bought a set of the OBX headers and a W4M tune. I was somewhat worried about buying the 'knock-off' kooks headers, but figured it was worth a shot after reading some of the reviews. Once I got them, my worries were put to rest. They were a very nice product and had great build quality (especially for the price).

I ended up going to this garage called DIY mechanics, where you can rent out a bay with either a 2 or 4 post lift by the hour, and do the work yourself. They also provide you with a nice set of basic tools, and if needed, you can rent specialty tools out by the hour. (I did this for an air gun and a sawzall). I ended up paying somewhere about $150 bucks to use their facility (much cheaper than having a shop do it!)

The install went as expected. Plugs and wires were a total PITA! I did have to swing the steering linkage aside in order to do the driver-side. The dipstick housing....well we all know how that goes. I ended up standing under the car, while a buddy guided it in from the top (standing on a ladder lol). The only thing that I was not expecting was cutting out a section of the stock piping (before x-pipe) in order to hook up the resonators (fake cats). Overall, after doing some research on the forum, I knew what to expect from the install though. I would not have been happy if I had to do this install alone (or in my apartment's parking lot)!

After the initial start-up, no problems at all. The sound is great!...but I was actually expecting to be a little louder being cat-less and all (planning to run hi-flo cats in the near future - I don't like the idea of not having cats). I have magnapack mufflers and a magnaflow x-pipe welded in. Lower rpms, it has the typical magnaflow tone, and higher up it gets that long tube rasp. I like it a lot!

I'll try to get a video shortly. I am still waiting for the W4M tune. Being a newly college grad, I am still tyring to get a real job (aka $$) - once that happens I'll be getting some dyno time in!!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure you double-check the tightness of the fittings between the headers and the fake cats after you go for a drive or two (or just wait for your cats to come in if you've already ordered them--try the Kooks 6760FC).
Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why was i thinking these just bolted up to the stock exhaust?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what all do I need to do to use the stock exhaust on these things? I'm not overly concerned about not using my cats, my o2 sensors are turned off.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Fuzzylogic: Thanks for the parts # - it may be hard to justify paying about the same for new cats compared to the headers. I'm planning on driving a bit today and then going through to recheck that type of stuff.

I was under the impression that these just bolted to stock exhaust, too. When bolted in, the long tubes extend all the way down to where the stock cats had been connected to the rest of the exhaust. Essentially had to cut the length of the new resonators/cats out of the stock piping to make them fit. Once this is done, all the bends fit up just right.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Default obx

Originally Posted by RADEoN
what all do I need to do to use the stock exhaust on these things? I'm not overly concerned about not using my cats, my o2 sensors are turned off.
my mechanic just did a set on my 2006 V. He just cut 4 or 5 inches off the stock pipe and bolted the resonators on. One resonator bolt just broke off and fell off 2 days ago. Shop said "cheap bolts." Also, advise using GM gaskets, not the ones they send you.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do the OBX's come with resonators? I'm not very familiar with exhaust. How do they bolt on to the cut pipe?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

you will most likely need new flange things welded back onto the piece that you just cut. Then bolt them together
Old 05-29-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

So the stock flange will fit the obx header, it just needs moved back a few inches? I have someone who can weld them on. And they come with the resonators that look like fake cats?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

im pretty sure yeah
Old 05-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Yes, they come with resonators that look like cats - they are straight through.

I did not reuse the stock flange for the resonators. If you look in the pic i posted above, you can see where the resonator connection pipes are slightly wider on one end. After cutting the 6 inches off, I just slid the resonator over the stock piping and used some exhaust clamps over that connection. You can see in the pic, that end of the resonator has some cuts in it so when you tighten the clamps, they are able to tighten up over the pipe. Hope this helps, kind of hard to explain. But once you get down there its explanatory.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ******* love you.

Now if someone would link me to a place that would have them in pa before saturday I'd offer the greatest of hugs.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

just offer up 420 on ebay
Old 05-29-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

No edit on mobile post:

So pretty much it clamps onto the edge of the pipe very hard, then there's a loose flange that you slide over the pipe, and it bolts to the other end of the header?

So theoretically you could weld the fake cat to the exhaust and just one piece it to the header.

One last Q, honestly, how much louder is this going to be with the muffler delete and stock resonator in place? I don't want it to wake up society late at night.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Search on YouTube for muffler delete vids. Allen posted on of his car with kooks, cats and muffler delete. It Will sound exactly the same. Another guy posted a vids of his obx and muffler delete on here. I believe he has silver somewhere in his name. Search this section for obx and you Will find his thread.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got the stock manifolds out pretty easily, does this mean i might not have too bad of a fitment issue getting the new ones in?

I'm sure it helps that my motor is flopping around on the worn mounts while my transmission sits in a shop 10 miles away.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

gosh those manifolds are hideous, hahahaha
Old 05-30-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RADEoN
No edit on mobile post:

So pretty much it clamps onto the edge of the pipe very hard, then there's a loose flange that you slide over the pipe, and it bolts to the other end of the header?

So theoretically you could weld the fake cat to the exhaust and just one piece it to the header.

One last Q, honestly, how much louder is this going to be with the muffler delete and stock resonator in place? I don't want it to wake up society late at night.
Here is mine, kooks with high flow cats, stock resonator, and then the mufflers deleted.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByooOUvrnf4
Originally Posted by big reg
Search on YouTube for muffler delete vids. Allen posted on of his car with kooks, cats and muffler delete. It Will sound exactly the same. Another guy posted a vids of his obx and muffler delete on here. I believe he has silver somewhere in his name. Search this section for obx and you Will find his thread.
Thanks, figured id post it anwyays sicne youtube searches can suck lol. I lvoe the sound and have no intention of ever changing it. I was told the other day that my car sounded pissed off haha.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Here is mine, kooks with high flow cats, stock resonator, and then the mufflers deleted.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByooOUvrnf4

Thanks, figured id post it anwyays sicne youtube searches can suck lol. I lvoe the sound and have no intention of ever changing it. I was told the other day that my car sounded pissed off haha.
dude...... I didnt know that was ur car. that's funny; you dont know how many times ive watched that video and told myself I want my car to sound like that....... hahahahaah
Old 05-30-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol thats funny, its strange though cause i cant hear any of the rasp when i drive the car even with all the windows down and the sunroof open. I think the sound has cleaned up a bit sicne ive had it tuned and put the cam in.

Quick Reply: OBX Header Install