Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bent Spindle???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Spindle???

Just want a second opinion.Is this spindle slightly bent?

Old 05-30-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Old 05-30-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other than the visual, what makes you think it's bent?

They are rather vulnerable and easily bent. But they have a lot of built-in curvature ...

Unless you have a known good one to compare it to, no one can tell.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

I had a alignment done to my car awhile back.Rather a attempt.Guy had bolts on lower a arm all the way back for camber and top of the tire is still slightly tucked inwards to the eye.I suspect the spindle to be the culprit.I don't feel like taking other side off to compare but thought I could take pics and someone could tell me for sure or not.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

anyone else?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Appearance to they eye doesn't matter. It needs to be measured by machine for a real reading.

If the guy is trying to align by eye, take it somewhere else that has the proper equipment.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Appearance to they eye doesn't matter. It needs to be measured by machine for a real reading.

If the guy is trying to align by eye, take it somewhere else that has the proper equipment.
He has a digital alignment machine/lift.He said he couldn't adjust the camber on driver side because a stuck bolt on lower a arm.When I got it home I was able to get the bolt to spin but its rusted to the sleeve inside the bushing.Once is could spin I worked it back and forth and was able to slide a arm all the way towards the motor.Tightened nut back on bolt while holding and after putting car back on ground the top of the tire is still tucked inwards.My only guess afterwards is a bent Spindle which wouldn't surprise me.If the spindle was more straight I believe it would push the top outward more and bring the bottom inwards fixing the problem........................... right ????
Old 05-30-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MillerTime85
When I got it home I was able to get the bolt to spin but its rusted to the sleeve inside the bushing.Once is could spin I worked it back and forth and was able to slide a arm all the way towards the motor.Tightened nut back on bolt while holding and after putting car back on ground the top of the tire is still tucked inwards.
C'mon ... really?

Who knows what the alignment setting is now. The K-member camber adjustment is slotted for a reason.

Banging it against the inner stop doesn't align anything. But I guarantee you've hosed your toe.

You now have significant toe out on that side. It probably pulls a sum-bitch.

Take it back, tell the tech you broke it loose and get it realigned.

Camber sweep will tell if the knuckle is bent.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mitchntx
C'mon ... really?

Who knows what the alignment setting is now. The K-member camber adjustment is slotted for a reason.

Banging it against the inner stop doesn't align anything. But I guarantee you've hosed your toe.

You now have significant toe out on that side. It probably pulls a sum-bitch.

Take it back, tell the tech you broke it loose and get it realigned.

Camber sweep will tell if the knuckle is bent.

I have no knowledge of alignments or how to do them so thats why I posted.I just want to make sure everything is good and no problems when I take it back b/c he was nice enough to give me a refund b/c he couldn't do it.I wanna make sure that he has no more problems taking it back to him ya know.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

Ok so I took it back and he apparently is new at trouble shooting suspension stuff and all could tell me is something is not right.Camber adjustment is maxed out and driver side has about 2 degrees neg. camber.He just doesn't feel comfortable enough to troubleshoot it and its over his head.I mentioned camber sweep and just said that it tells him somethin is off but he doesnt know what.I have to dig into it this weekend and need it fixed right away without going somewhere that doesnt work on these cars and get overcharge.Im betting on bent spindle and will have to find another to compare to unless someone can point me in the right direction
Old 06-02-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

if something was strong enough to bend a spindle..........you would have a lot more damage in other areas
Old 06-02-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your sig it says you have pro-kit springs. When you lower these cars most end up with neg. camber. Are you thinking that because your spindle is bent that thats whats causing the camber? Or am I missing something?

Last edited by ChrisRZ28; 06-02-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you really want, next time I'm working on my car I have my stock spindles off, I have a really goods digital gauge. I can try to remeber to to get the angle off some spots off the machined wheel bearing face or somehing.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
In your sig it says you have pro-kit springs. When you lower these cars most end up with neg. camber. Are you thinking that because your spindle is bent that thats whats causing the camber? Or am I missing something?

I lowered the car.Went to get alignment.To adjust camber you have to move Lower A arm bolt in slot thats in the kmember.The bolt is moved all the way back to give positive camber to fix the neg. camber of when it was lowered.It is maxed out and still has Neg camber.what could be the problem?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I lowered the car.Went to get alignment.To adjust camber you have to move Lower A arm bolt in slot thats in the kmember.The bolt is moved all the way back to give positive camber to fix the neg. camber of when it was lowered.It is maxed out and still has Neg camber.what could be the problem?
Other then a proper alignment it sounds like you don't really have a 'problem'. That's just 'how it is' with lowered f-bodies. Lots of people here have some amount of neg. camber. Me included. Toe-out will kill your tires before neg. camber will. At least that's what my feeling is after reading **** tons of threads about suspension. First you need to find a different shop that's familiar w/f-bodies or that is at least competent.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Other then a proper alignment it sounds like you don't really have a 'problem'. That's just 'how it is' with lowered f-bodies. Lots of people here have some amount of neg. camber. Me included. Toe-out will kill your tires before neg. camber will. At least that's what my feeling is after reading **** tons of threads about suspension. First you need to find a different shop that's familiar w/f-bodies or that is at least competent.
as of right now it has about 2 degrees of neg. camber on driver side & almost 1 degree on passenger side.I agree on finding another place than is f body friendly but only place I can think of is 50 miles away.It just seems like its way too much neg. camber even for a lowered car.I also measured around car from fender/quarter panel to ground if help at all.Nothing in back except 10lb Nitrous bottle inplace of spare tire. Rims are 18inch C5 Rims w/ 275/35/18 tires all way around

Back

26 | | 26 1/2

26 | | 26 1/4

Front

Last edited by MillerTime85; 06-02-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

as of right now it has about 2 degrees of neg. camber on driver side & almost 1 degree on passenger side.I agree on finding another place than is f body friendly but only place I can think of is 50 miles away.It just seems like its way too much neg. camber even for a lowered car.I also measured around car from fender/quarter panel to ground if help at all.Nothing in back except 10lb Nitrous bottle inplace of spare tire. Rims are 18inch C5 Rims w/ 275/35/18 tires all way around

Back

26 | | 26 1/2

26 | | 26 1/4

Front
I'm 26" in front and 26.5" in back. Hmm, 2 deg. is alot. If I were you I'd start by getting a second opinion at a f-body friendly shop and go from there. You can search the forums for more answers also. Sucks you don't have a closer shop. If it turns out that a spindle is bent, a local junkyard my have one to sell you.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

I'm 26" in front and 26.5" in back. Hmm, 2 deg. is alot. If I were you I'd start by getting a second opinion at a f-body friendly shop and go from there. You can search the forums for more answers also. Sucks you don't have a closer shop. If it turns out that a spindle is bent, a local junkyard my have one to sell you.
I can acquire another spindle locally if needed but I just dunno if thats my problem.Im gonna have to take a spindle and go compare with a known good spindle to make sure but 2 degree's is way to much.I would imagine being pretty close to 0 on a prokit.Maybe 0-0.5 neg camber on a sportline kit.Just seems like something is off and only thing I can think of is a bent spindle.I also made a suggestion of what about taking a dremel and extending the slot in k member like 1/4 inch and should put me where i prob. need to be or close to it.Has anyone done this or would it be unsafe?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can acquire another spindle locally if needed but I just dunno if thats my problem.Im gonna have to take a spindle and go compare with a known good spindle to make sure but 2 degree's is way to much.I would imagine being pretty close to 0 on a prokit.Maybe 0-0.5 neg camber on a sportline kit.Just seems like something is off and only thing I can think of is a bent spindle.I also made a suggestion of what about taking a dremel and extending the slot in k member like 1/4 inch and should put me where i prob. need to be or close to it.Has anyone done this or would it be unsafe?
From reading this site and Fraxx, mostly racers elongate the holes but I'm sure it would be fine on a street car. I know mitchntx has done it (racecar) without any trouble. You haven't hit the k-member or lower control arms on anything have you?

Quick Reply: Bent Spindle???