Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front-end accessory drive squeak/squeal...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front-end accessory drive squeak/squeal...

This is driving me crazy.

It's a repetitive squeak-slash-squealing sound seeming to originate from under the hood, near the front of the engine. IMO, it's a bearing going bad.

If I don't figure it out, I'm going to beat something sturdy with something heavy just to get some frustration out.

It's louder when the car starts and lessens as it warms up. It's RPM-dependent. If I rev the engine, accelerate or add load to the motor, it accelerates with the motor. It decelerates similarly. If I click on the AC, it changes pitch and slows a bit in response to the new load.

This squeak problem started a few months ago. I took the car off the road for a while, because so much stuff needed repairs.

The headers came out and got re-coated.

As I was getting the headers out, I found the AC compressor seal had let loose. Refrigerant mixed with dirt was caked everywhere. So it got a completely overhauled AC system including a brand-new compressor, and a new pair of idler pullies while I was down there. AC system is all-new.

The diodes in the alternator were going bye-bye, and it had a bad front bearing. So it's got a new alternator.

While the car was down, I changed out the water pump. The original had gone 70k and the system needed a flush anyway. With all the accy's out of the way, this was a good time to do the job. So. it got a new water pump too.

For s-n-g's, I put a new main drive belt idler in. New AC and main drive belts were replaced too.

All parts were new, not remanufactured or anything like that. Brand new stuff from what I consider to be above-average parts distributors.

The only two (2) things I left untouched are the crank pulley (which is about a 10-years old ASP underdrive pulley) and the power steering pump.

I started it up today after completing all that work and the squeak was gone - I assumed with all that new stuff, I must have replaced whatever it was.

Until I drove the car off the ramps. As soon as I loaded up the engine, it made the noise again.

The one time I need my wife's camera and it's not working. If I can get it to work, I'll make a video of the noise.

I tried searching but didn't come up with much. Any insights? Thanks,

-Roger
Old 05-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you figure it out because I'm having the same problem. I'm getting married this week so I haven't had time to look at it.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also sounds similar to my problem, although mine goes away after warming up. Very odd considering that you have replaced all of those acc's with brand new parts. I am going to try spraying some wd-40 on each of the pulleys one at a time to try narrowing down the problem.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My power steering cooler has died. The power steering fluid is an odd reddish color (no, it's not ATF) indicating it mixed with Dex-cool. I wonder if the noise is coming from the PS pump because the fluid is contaminated?

I ordered a fluid cooler to install in place of the stock PS cooler. It should be here Thursday. I'll delete the factory cooler and go with the one-piece radiator hose. Then I'll flush and bleed the power steering system and hope for the best.

We shall see. I'll let ya know...