Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

just hit a deer some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default just hit a deer some questions

I hit a deer and it looks like it only messed up the headlight bracket and cover. This is on a red 2000 trans am, i have a $500 deductable.

I was going to just not bother reporting it and just buying a new bracket/cover but i just saw that they want $670 for one! Im sure if i waited/searched i could find a used one the same color as my car but i dont want my car sitting around all summer.

Any ideas how much this will cost all together? Would it be cheaper if somehow i worked out a deal with insurance to just get the non pop up headlight conversion? I hate the pop up headlights at night but im not so sure if i like the look of the non pop up ones.

thanks
Old 05-31-2011, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

I personally hate the way the non pop up headlights look.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I've never splattered Bambi with my car, but wouldn't your insurance rates go up from the accident? If so, it might be cheaper in the long run to just buy the $670 parts (if that's truly the only repair needed).

You're lucky you got away with such minor damage.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:35 AM
Launching!

Dont bother going through insurance. Your rates go up for 3 years, plus it goes on the carfax as an accident (unless you reported it already to pd). Just pay for it out of pocket and do your best on the *bay to find cheaper parts. I hope you put that deer down...i know my glock would have been empty if that happened to me.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:48 AM
Teching In

I already called insurance about it, but i dont HAVE to get it fixed through insurance right? This is the first time i've ever had to make a claim or whatever in the 7 years i've been driving.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:39 AM
TECH Resident

Why would you have to? Just pay for it yourself; not only will it save you a lot in the long run, but it will also save you the headache of dealing with an insurance company.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

My Allstate agent told me that comprehensive coverage is involved with hitting an animal. Your rates would not go up, being treated the same way as if a rock came flying up from a truck and broke your windshield. Ask your agent the right questions and take it from there. Every state can be different as well. Sorry for your misfortune.

Quick Reply: just hit a deer some questions