General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

riddle me this

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default riddle me this

About a month ago it started with when I was driving the radio would shut off if I had it up to loud. I figured it was the alternator, because I had a power steering leak and I fought the fluid leaking on it was casing problems. I fixed the leak and it still was happening. Also Friday night I was going out and I lost my dash lights and tail lights. Turns out that the tail light fuse blew and some how started to melt. I haven't replaced it yet. I don't really drive e at night and I just keep forgetting to pick up some more fuses. So Sunday I pull up at my buddy's house and the car dies. I figure the alternator finally died. I replaced it yesterday, charged the battery and drop e home. Everthing was normal except the gauge was low. I have had to mess with the needles so I don't trust them. This mirnng I was driving to work and the car died. AAA tested the battery and it came back fine. I have a few things that I can think of but any ax I e would really help.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Did you replace the alternator with a reman? They are often duds. I only go with new alternators as a result.

By chance do you know if you have Harbor Freight fuses? They shouldn't melt - ever! Harbor Freight had a fuse recall for some lovely units made in China that... melt.