LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MAF Translator Pro?

Old 05-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAF Translator Pro?

Has anyone tried the MAF Translator Pro on their force inducted LT1? I've got a '96 Impala SS that I've twin turbo'd and like what I'm reading on it...but am unsure if it would work for my app. Being a '96 it's OBD2 which is a concern....and the other is there doesn't seem to be a direct plug and play harness. I'm currently using tunes from PCM for Less....but would like to mess with it more local. I like the idea of it getting rid of the MAF input....and converting it over to SD. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Dave
Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I would also like to hear about this product, if anyone is using it. I looked it over on there site a bit, and it looks pretty interesting.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used one on a different application. The thing gave me a headache. I can think of many better ways to go speed density but, it does work for minimum cash outlay. Don't rely on it to fully tune your setup, just as a MAF delete.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why would you manipulate sensor inputs in an application where the pcm is so easily adjusted?

Leave such things for applications where the pcm is not so easily accessed.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LIL QIK
Has anyone tried the MAF Translator Pro on their force inducted LT1? I've got a '96 Impala SS that I've twin turbo'd and like what I'm reading on it...but am unsure if it would work for my app. Being a '96 it's OBD2 which is a concern....and the other is there doesn't seem to be a direct plug and play harness. I'm currently using tunes from PCM for Less....but would like to mess with it more local. I like the idea of it getting rid of the MAF input....and converting it over to SD. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Dave
Why mess with a MAF translator if you want to go SD? I mean SD eliminates the MAF so why would you invest $$$ and then get rid of it?

I have a rear turbo on a Roadmaster and I used a 2 bar map and tuned it SD. Some love SD some don't, it gave you more control but also can take longer to get right. The worst part of SD is getting it to start and DD

If it were me I would convert your car to 95 and buy Tuner Cats and Datamaster. There was a thread on all you needed to do on SS Impala forum but I haven't gone there in a while.

Good luck
Old 05-31-2011, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those were for before the days of tuning. No reason at all to get one now.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by boosted LT1
Why mess with a MAF translator if you want to go SD? I mean SD eliminates the MAF so why would you invest $$$ and then get rid of it?

I have a rear turbo on a Roadmaster and I used a 2 bar map and tuned it SD. Some love SD some don't, it gave you more control but also can take longer to get right. The worst part of SD is getting it to start and DD

If it were me I would convert your car to 95 and buy Tuner Cats and Datamaster. There was a thread on all you needed to do on SS Impala forum but I haven't gone there in a while.

Good luck
The MAF Translator Pro has a function that gets rid of the MAF and just uses 3 bar SD. I was looking for an easier solution than converting over to the LS1 PCM to achieve 3 bar tuneability. I'm looking for more than the 2 bar limit. It also seemed to be an option to get the easy tuneability and keep my OBD2 in place because it's my daily driver. I can't go to FAST or BS3 or other aftermarket setup due to my yearly inspections. We've used the Translator GEN 2 on my brothers GN and I was impressed with how easy it actually was. So again....I understand that there are other options out there that are probably much better....but I'm trying to keep my inspections in check and still achieve tuneability up to 3 bar. Guess I was kind of looking for a way to get 3 bar on the 96-97 lt1 without changing out the pcm. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

The MAF Translator Pro has a function that gets rid of the MAF and just uses 3 bar SD. I was looking for an easier solution than converting over to the LS1 PCM to achieve 3 bar tuneability. I'm looking for more than the 2 bar limit. It also seemed to be an option to get the easy tuneability and keep my OBD2 in place because it's my daily driver. I can't go to FAST or BS3 or other aftermarket setup due to my yearly inspections. We've used the Translator GEN 2 on my brothers GN and I was impressed with how easy it actually was. So again....I understand that there are other options out there that are probably much better....but I'm trying to keep my inspections in check and still achieve tuneability up to 3 bar. Guess I was kind of looking for a way to get 3 bar on the 96-97 lt1 without changing out the pcm. Thanks for the input guys.
You can put a 3 bar map on an LT1 and to go SD in OBDI you simply change a setting to enable SD. I have a 3 bar and played with one on an LT1. You do not need to convert to LS computer. OBDI is very easy to tune cheaper and no harder than OBDII.

How much boost are you running?

It would be relatively easy to convert to from OBDI/OBDII for inspections but it is your car so.

Good luck
Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by boosted LT1
You can put a 3 bar map on an LT1 and to go SD in OBDI you simply change a setting to enable SD. I have a 3 bar and played with one on an LT1. You do not need to convert to LS computer. OBDI is very easy to tune cheaper and no harder than OBDII.

How much boost are you running?

It would be relatively easy to convert to from OBDI/OBDII for inspections but it is your car so.

Good luck
K....you've got me interested in the OBD1/OBD2 swap. I'll do some research into it and see what's all involved. I'd like to be able to tune it up to a max of 25psi. I had pretty much already decided to do the LS1 pcm swap.....but was just looking into other options. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

K....you've got me interested in the OBD1/OBD2 swap. I'll do some research into it and see what's all involved. I'd like to be able to tune it up to a max of 25psi. I had pretty much already decided to do the LS1 pcm swap.....but was just looking into other options. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.
Here is a thread about LTX SD.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560089

It takes you from neophite to a running SD tune done by you. Like I said the frustrating part is driving manners the boost part is easy.

Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAF Translator Pro?