LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Did I die, go to hell, and not realize it? 97 TA (beater) having start/run problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Did I die, go to hell, and not realize it? 97 TA (beater) having start/run problems

I removed the AIR pump on my 97 TA over the weekend. Of course everything that could go wrong did - when I was taking one of the "bolts" for the air fitting could into the exhaust manifold it broke and part of it was stuck in the manifold still.

So I just decided to take the car to a muffler shop that is about 3/4 of a mile away and have them weld the holes. They're kind of a "no questions asked" type shop even though I live in a rural area so I figured they would do it. Of course quality isn't exactly top notch at that place either, but a lot of places will shy away from plugging emissions stuff.

After I got there to pick the car up it wouldn't start. The guy there told me it ran poorly after they worked on it and then it shut off.

I figured it must just be the battery giving up the ghost so I took a new battery there and it still wouldn't start. I tried hammering the starter and it did start but it only ran for about 5 seconds, sounded like absolute crap, and died. Yes I put a vacuum cap on the intake. What in the .... could have happened?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Perhaps they burned some plug wires when they welded on it? My next guess would be the rotor coming loose in the opti.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to check the basics,Rox. Fuel pressure? I would start there. Spark? Codes?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

i thought the lt1 was where car lovers went to die. So yes, you are in hell, and your quite possibly dead
Old 06-01-2011, 07:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
I removed the AIR pump on my 97 TA over the weekend. Of course everything that could go wrong did - when I was taking one of the "bolts" for the air fitting could into the exhaust manifold it broke and part of it was stuck in the manifold still.

So I just decided to take the car to a muffler shop that is about 3/4 of a mile away and have them weld the holes. They're kind of a "no questions asked" type shop even though I live in a rural area so I figured they would do it. Of course quality isn't exactly top notch at that place either, but a lot of places will shy away from plugging emissions stuff.

After I got there to pick the car up it wouldn't start. The guy there told me it ran poorly after they worked on it and then it shut off.

I figured it must just be the battery giving up the ghost so I took a new battery there and it still wouldn't start. I tried hammering the starter and it did start but it only ran for about 5 seconds, sounded like absolute crap, and died. Yes I put a vacuum cap on the intake. What in the .... could have happened?

maybe its the coil

on a serious note thou if they mig'ed it with the battery connected it could've possibly damaged the ICM......they are pretty tempermental
Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Of course it's the opti
Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No No No your not in hell....Even Satan is not cruel enough to punish you with an Opti..!!lol

If you were in Hell they would not allow an opti you would at least have a SBC distributor.....
Old 06-02-2011, 06:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
maybe its the coil

on a serious note thou if they mig'ed it with the battery connected it could've possibly damaged the ICM......they are pretty tempermental
That's what I'm thinking now at this point (something electronic damaged from welding). Yeah something could have gone bad, but the car DROVE in there just fine. Seems to me far more likely something they did than a part randomly failing at the same time...

Quick Reply: Did I die, go to hell, and not realize it? 97 TA (beater) having start/run problems