Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pressure when taking off oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pressure when taking off oil cap

I had this really annoying squeak and finally after a hour of trying to find out what it was I came to the conclusion to take the oil cap off. When i went to remove it tons of pressure came out of it. THis makes sense because when i shut the car off it sounded like something was realesing pressure. What could be a good reason that there is so much pressure building up on the top end of my engine?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCV valve may be clogged shut
Old 06-01-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shorty(98TA)
PCV valve may be clogged shut
i cant believe that would just happen hmm thats the valve on the passenger side of the engine ? the hose comes from the throttle body, correct?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

also could it stop working if i took the stock tube/ hose out and just put regular hose. I was trying to clean up the engine bay and just ran regular vacum hose.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I found a slit on the pcv hose, fixed that but its still sucking the oil cap in pretty good. Im assuming any leak of air is going to cause this... i have a stripped bolt on my manifold so could that possibly be the reason that its not sitting right.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Replace the pcv valve happened the other week and that was the problem. Hard to believe sumthin so simple can do that. They only cost 6 bucks so cost isn't an issue.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ghost Phoenix01
Replace the pcv valve happened the other week and that was the problem. Hard to believe sumthin so simple can do that. They only cost 6 bucks so cost isn't an issue.
im just thinking its something more then that because i had trouble this weekend, i put a bbk manifold on and new tb and the engine was reving to the moon...did it a few more times still did it. So then i decided to throw the stock manifold on and after market tb and still did it then i said F it and put the stock tb on and engine ran fine except this vacum leak. But as i said before i hope the one bolt which of course has to be the second last bolt in the back on the passenger side stripped and wont fully make it to the manifold. All 9 are torqued though.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Teching In

I just put a bbk on too and I have the same problem with it surging. I hardly drive my Ta so I havnt messed around with it too much but the surging is probably a Vac leak. You will also need to have it tuned for the new intake and a lot of tuners including mine hate that intake due to how hard it is to tune it. There is also a bolt that the intake slightly touched that my buddy replaced so it would seal better. Best way to find a vac leak though is to get some eather and lightly spray it around where it could possibly be leaking. If the engine revs up a little you found a leak. Double check the bolts on the underside of the intake too to make sure they are all tight. I used lock tight on mine.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Ok i have the same problem. I was just warming up the car and i start hearing a wine . I shut it down and had someone start it and first thing I went to was the oil cap cover and twist it off while car was running and wine went away . I knew it is either pressure or vaccum leak . Which one ?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i would highly doubt you all have vacuum (suction) in the crankcase. It is probably pressure. this can be caused by a few things.

clogged / pinched / damaged PCV system

piston ring wear causing excessive "blow-by" (combustion pressure leaking into crankcase)

the second issue occurs normally, which is why you have a PCV system in the first place. but if it is excessive, it can cause pressure build-up and can even cause the dipstick to pop out, cause oil leaks (pressure forcing the oil out of the seals), and cause that sound of air coming out of the cap
Old 07-01-2016, 10:16 AM

I have an issue when I take my oil cap off there is a major sucking on the cap. what would cause that?

Quick Reply: pressure when taking off oil cap