Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Whowon the Tuner Shootout?
JRod
86.79%
Brent
13.21%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Who won tuner shootout...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default POLL: Who won tuner shootout...

Knowing what rules were "broken"...

JRod supposedly weighed in 50lbs too light on one pass, even though there was admitted problems with the scale, and even though he immediately ran again, weighed again, and weighed 30lbs over minimum weight...

Brent repeatedly broke the "6 pass" rule by 20+ passes trying to best JRods time (must have been because he knew he had already won)

So, who won? With all of the information available, who, in your opinion, won the shootout, and proved that they were deserving of the victory?
Old 02-25-2004, 06:08 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This whole thing is like watching my 8 year old son son play with his one friend. His friend makes up the rules as he go also. J-Rod kind of had the deck stacked against him... Over all I think the whole agruement is childish. Both were with in a couple hundredths of each other. Cartek makes it look like he got smoked but I am willing to bet it was pretty much a toss up. Someone getting the jump on a light, well if he didn't red light it is fair. Snooze ya lose. Pro Stock leave at red line as well. Way I look at it is that it was pretty much a toss up. Should have shook hands and called it a draw.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

call it a tie and run em again at the next event. this will OBVIOULSY not be resolved.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I call for a grudge match, heads up, at the North Vs South Shootout in a few months.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:34 PM
Motorboater

I agree with NineBall, that will settle it.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:41 PM
FormerVendor

I vote for the on going grudge match as well. Keeps things interesting. In my eyes, Jarrod won the event as per the rules specified. Julio is using his bullshit card with the scale excuse. I hit that track often and will tell you the scale is junk. My car has had over 100lb variance from one track visit to the next with NO changes in the car at all. I also dont think whoever organizes the event should be a key contendor...That in itself throws off the balance from the get go.

Who do I think was faster OVERALL?? Brent was. He consistently had a higher mph than Jarrod. Brent trapped 126/128 almost every pass through the exhaust. Jarrod trapped 123/127 with open headers etc etc. In my eyes Carteks package should come out on top if all things were equal....

Personally, I would like to see both cars ran in the same trim. IE exhaust, gas, race weight. It is hard to compare tuners packages potential with one running open headers/race gas Vs 93 octane and full exhaust.

All in all, both should consider themselves winners running mid 10s in Ga with stock bottom ends.... Congrats to all parties involved.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
Brent repeatedly broke the "6 pass" rule by 20+ passes trying to best JRods time (must have been because he knew he had already won)
I dont know where you got your info from,But there was no 6 run maximum,as was stated at the drivers meeting prior to the event. This was stated by Z06Les on another forum.At the drivers meeting everyone was told that they can make as many runs as they wanted because of the low car count.So by you saying that Brent also "broke the rules" is just plain ludicris.You were not at the event, so for you to say what you think happened is just way out of line.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If the scale operator says the scales where zero'd out before JRod got onto the scale and the scale reported that he was still under weight... who do you believe? There are 2 conflicting stories about that.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy
I dont know where you got your info from,But there was no 6 run maximum,as was stated at the drivers meeting prior to the event. This was stated by Z06Les on another forum.At the drivers meeting everyone was told that they can make as many runs as they wanted because of the low car count.So by you saying that Brent also "broke the rules" is just plain ludicris.You were not at the event, so for you to say what you think happened is just way out of line.

Congrats, your Cartek gift certificate is in the mail.

I was not there, what is the point? Read the rules. Brent did not break the rules, you are technically correct. Brent violated the spirit of the rules. The rules are in a nutshell, make six runs, fastest wins. JRod ran 10.67, Brent ran 10.73. Period.

The poll shows who "won". The poll shows who really thinks JRod cheated and was 50lbs too light. The poll shows who is out of line.

Have a nice day.

Shawn
Old 02-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Banned

Hey, Rich, a mechanic at our shop just gave me a great idea. At the next event with Brents car we can cut the hood so that we can install the headers upside down so they go through the hood, run some nitromethane and a take off cam from KBs car.
What do you think SPANKY LS1? I always notice how unbiased towards CARTEK you post, any thoughts.

Julio
Old 02-25-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tekhombre
Hey, Rich, a mechanic at our shop just gave me a great idea. At the next event with Brents car we can cut the hood so that we can install the headers upside down so they go through the hood, run some nitromethane and a take off cam from KBs car.
What do you think SPANKY LS1? I always notice how unbiased towards CARTEK you post, any thoughts.

Julio
Hey, thats an excellent idea..... then you could actually win the shootout outright, then you wouldn't have to go to the scale card. Then, everyone who lost cold cry about how radical your car was, how they were expecting something milder, and find a questionable violation to DQ you....

As far as the personal remarks, I am not at all biased or unbiased, I could really care less. I was looking forward to the results like everyone else, whatever they may be. I own stock in neither one of the shops in question. However, IMO, it is rediculious that you got outrun, then ran 25+ more times trying to better his time (BTW, should have been absolutely no problem for a "record" holding car, who consistently runs .2-.4 better than this nearly every weekend, right?) then, after all else had failed, discovered this rule "violation". Thats all. I'll be the first to say that to me, the Cartek car pound for pound is more impressive to me for running the same times with full exhaust, smaller cam, etc. But it was a shootout, and both cars were within the rules. Its not JRods fault for showing up ready to play, its yours/Brents for not being ready, or for thinking JRod was going to come as is....

Shawn
Old 02-25-2004, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Give me the keys to both cars and I'll settle this.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think they both ran great and were very close.

Not the blow-out that was being predicted by Brent et al

A re-match is the way to settle this with 3 passes against each other heads up on a regular tree. Have a rule where the first bulb has to be lit by both cars before tripping the second bulb.

Gives both cars time to get ready and bring up the revs etc.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360

A re-match is the way to settle this with 3 passes against each other heads up on a regular tree. Have a rule where the first bulb has to be lit by both cars before tripping the second bulb.

Gives both cars time to get ready and bring up the revs etc.
We asked, they wanted no part of it. Actually it was the car owner (3-Gun) that didn't want any part of it. I think J-rod wanted to do it.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

That event was under different rules though.

This would be setup in advance with both parties having time to prepare etc with an understanding of how the tree is going to work and also specific verification of weight.

ie: weigh both cars three times back to back before each pass

VIDEO the weighing (including the display and VIDEO them driving to the staging lanes to race.

I think that would settle things

Last edited by Chris ARE 360; 02-25-2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
Hey, thats an excellent idea..... then you could actually win the shootout outright, then you wouldn't have to go to the scale card. Then, everyone who lost cold cry about how radical your car was, how they were expecting something milder, and find a questionable violation to DQ you....

As far as the personal remarks, I am not at all biased or unbiased, I could really care less. I was looking forward to the results like everyone else, whatever they may be. I own stock in neither one of the shops in question. However, IMO, it is rediculious that you got outrun, then ran 25+ more times trying to better his time (BTW, should have been absolutely no problem for a "record" holding car, who consistently runs .2-.4 better than this nearly every weekend, right?) then, after all else had failed, discovered this rule "violation". Thats all. I'll be the first to say that to me, the Cartek car pound for pound is more impressive to me for running the same times with full exhaust, smaller cam, etc. But it was a shootout, and both cars were within the rules. Its not JRods fault for showing up ready to play, its yours/Brents for not being ready, or for thinking JRod was going to come as is....

Shawn
Hey Spanky, with comments like yours they should make you a moderator here.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Lets ask JUDGE JUDY..maybe she can help
Old 02-25-2004, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Julio,

From this post you make it sound as iff us moderators have it out for you. I speak for myself here..

I only wanted to see results that were unbiased and non BS. In the events I have seen with Jrod, he has always been 100% straight up with things. If he said he made the 10.67 pass and was under weight, went straight to the line NOT adding weight and made another pass but weighed in again at 3280lbs, I believe him.

In dealings with the Cartek car, everytime a new accomplishment is hit some detail is left out.

Mind you, I think the Cartek car is flying down the track and it is a well put together combo. I am not discrediting your accomplishments. Just questioning the outcome of the event.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hell I like to hold my comments, but as you can see, i just cant.
Let me start by saying I have had a 2x package. Was told it would get me in the 11's...and it did. Cartek is the most consistant tuner out there. Car after car, set-up after set-up..they all just go..the varience is small, stick , auto, f-body, c5...doesnt matter. You just dont read about 12 second cartek cars. I do not see that as common place with other tuners that have a full range of customers. That could be business design and customer base, but its fact.
On the other hand, my car never could idle for crap..no blame, just fact. Julio had NO QUESTIONS when I brought the car back for a "touch up" and didnt charge me. but it still didnt idle well. Could have been unrelated.
LG is accessible. Call him, email him, he answers you, and doesnt make you feel rushed. Im sure several have had very good experiences with them.
Neither can handle second place, but a superbowl is a superbowl. There is no tie and if there is an argument over a coin flip is shouldnt come to a head when the game is over. I WAS NOT THERE, this may have been an issue from the very moment the scale showed low weight.
so: Cartek "guys" were operating the scale at the time of the low weight...true? Issue? Who knows. Did they hold it as a trump card, or did J-Rod know all day that the run was DQ'd.
It would appear that Brent ran faster, more consistantly and would win a world series of races...but this was a superbowl... best single E/T.
I dont like the way either shop handled this with the strong boasts from LG to the excuses and claims from Julio (this was not a competiton of fast cars with "good manors", had it been this may have had a more obvious winner)...but this aint catholic school..this is racin.
I would say if J-Rod and 3Gun (what is this Nascar?) were told immediately that the run did not count...then Brent is the winner, but if they were not told immediately after the pass that it was invalid, then J-Rod is the winner. No holding trump cards. My guess , and these are internet guesses, if J-Rod was told it was invalid he would have re-weighed a few times immediately after the run..not even left the area. If he did leave, knowing it was invalid and gambled he could do better, well thats what lost it for him.
Only a few people probably know all the facts about how it transpired, and all those have an interest in who won, so its bias.

We all applaud TekWarriers efforts in setting this up, Carteks front money, LG's competition and perhaps win, and the fact this took place at all is great. Many good shops made it there! I sincerely hope all payouts are made appropriately.
What sucks is the "true" hard feelings created on the net, as I'm sure face to face, all were out having fun.
From all I've read, I'd throw my vote for J-Rod due to the many who have said the scales were iffy at best...(all hearsay). If it was a race involving "street trim" and consistancy, Brent gets the nod.
Thanks for reading. Now can we PLEASE go beat on some mustangs or vipers.

Last edited by Jammer; 02-25-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs down

Nice.. that really backs up your position.