General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Air conditioning compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Air conditioning compressor

My AC stopped putting out cold air the other day, and the shop told me that my orifice was clogged and showed me metal goop with particles in it coming from the tube. They said that my compressor was dying and spewing its guts throughout the system. I've started researching new air compressors on eBay, and I'm finding stuff as low as $150ish (Ready-Aire brand), up to $450+. What brand can I count on that won't run my wallet empty? Also, do I need a compressor + clutch, or just the compressor? Do I need to replace anything else while I am at it?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cascadesys
My AC stopped putting out cold air the other day, and the shop told me that my orifice was clogged and showed me metal goop with particles in it coming from the tube. They said that my compressor was dying and spewing its guts throughout the system. I've started researching new air compressors on eBay, and I'm finding stuff as low as $150ish (Ready-Aire brand), up to $450+. What brand can I count on that won't run my wallet empty? Also, do I need a compressor + clutch, or just the compressor? Do I need to replace anything else while I am at it?
I've replaced 2 compressors in my wife's suburban and also my T/A in the past year and I've used the "Factory Air" brand (found at Advance Auto) and been very pleased with it. Get it NEW - NO REMANS and order it online at your local Advance Auto Parts and with the online coupons/codes out there you can save a ton and get one for around 150-180. As to what your past compressor did you are going to probably have to replace your Condenser, most definately your O-tube (cheap), a new Dryer/accumulator and flush the hell out of the system. Since you have so much crap in there I would strongly recc taking it to a shop and having them pressure flush it vs. the can flush/compressed air method I have used that typically works flawlessly when you don't have that much crap in your system. As to the rest, the compressor install, condensor, dryer and o-tube install it's really not that hard and can be done in just a couple hours. Lastly, the compressor (NEW) will come with a clutch. Let me know if you have any other questions as all this can be done easily in your garage and if want to charge the system yourself as well I can stear you in the right way to cheaply buy some tools to get you there.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep, orifice will get fucked up with a compressor failure. EVERY f-body I have worked on clogs an orifice at some point after a compressor failure. I'd buy an accumulator/dryer canister to go with the new compressor. They are about $75 new.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Yep, orifice will get fucked up with a compressor failure. EVERY f-body I have worked on clogs an orifice at some point after a compressor failure. I'd buy an accumulator/dryer canister to go with the new compressor. They are about $75 new.
If you buy any new compressor they will typically require you buy a new Accum/Dryer, O-tube and proof you flushed the system to maintain the manufactures warranty. The "Factory Air" brand I talked about earlier has an unlimited full replacement 2 year warranty which is pretty good for an aftermarket brand. As to the Conendser, since you have metal particles in there I would HIGHLY recc replacing that as well as getting that junk out is next to impossible - even with a professional flush. If that crap get's pulled into your new compressor then you'll be replacing it again soon. Typically, the evaporator can be cleaned better than the condenser so you should be ok there.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

People get pretty **** about ac replacements. I don't. I have seen compressors swapped, work for a while, then clog the orifice as the shrapnel accumulates. You can simply replace it then and charge the system back up and keep rolling. I have seen systems without the dryer replaced or the system vacuumed down work fine for long periods of time. Warranty? Thats for girls
Old 06-03-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
People get pretty **** about ac replacements. I don't. I have seen compressors swapped, work for a while, then clog the orifice as the shrapnel accumulates. You can simply replace it then and charge the system back up and keep rolling. I have seen systems without the dryer replaced or the system vacuumed down work fine for long periods of time. Warranty? Thats for girls
Regardless, of the age or what happened to a system, replacing the Dryer at a bare minimum is a must/highly recc'd. Dryers, simply put, are a decadent that absorbes moisture to keep it out of the sytem as pag oil and moisture don't mix. Why would you not replace it as they are pretty cheap and good insurance when putting on a brand new compressor? Also, you never will pull a perfect vac on your system when installing everying so having a good dryer is a must. Here in Houston, given the humidity level in our air, opening up a system and exposing the dryer to air even for a brief period of time can render it inert or useless.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dryer is a must and so is the orifice tube. A new compressor beats the hell out of a reman.

As far as flushes go, I do what people pay me for. It will work either way, just depends on how well/long.

I recommend the best home flush I can do. A shop flush would be better, maybe. But, look at the cost.

I just started doing home status flushes. They seem pretty good to me, not perfect but damn decent.

No returns so far out of 3.

Quick Reply: Air conditioning compressor