Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suggestions for Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for Brakes?

Hey guys I'm looking to get new brakes all around. Probably just pads and rotors. Not looking to upgrade calipers. I already have stainless steel braided brake lines as well. Anybody have some good reviews for brands I could take a look at? Not looking crazy prices either.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Hawk HPS pads are pretty nice, I am currently running them and have no complaints. I just put on some Power Slot rotors and they seem to be doing fine also, though I've only had them on for 100 miles or so and only time will tell if they are quality pieces.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Any links to the parts you bought HWI?
Old 06-03-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

I have Power Slot rotors with Hawk HPS pads for well over 6 years now. Not a single complaint or issue with them. Many of the sponsors here stock them and it doesn't break the bank either.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$499 from StranoParts.com

Hawk pads all around with ATE rotors.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Soo hawks brakes are the recommendation? haha
Old 06-03-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by HWI
Hawk HPS pads are pretty nice, I am currently running them and have no complaints. I just put on some Power Slot rotors and they seem to be doing fine also, though I've only had them on for 100 miles or so and only time will tell if they are quality pieces.
I have had Hawk pads in the car from 2004 to 2006 and they hardly wore at all.. 0_o... Still running a set now with a couple track passes on them (changed in 2006) and they still haven't wore.. Great pads.

But I also got a set of D+S rotors from WS6 store that I have mixed feelings about. They're really not recommended for heavy track use and I've heard stories about how D+S blanks can just about explode on serious abuse (140mph brake stabs at the track.)

I'm piecing together a C5Z brake kit with good parts now. Not going REAL expensive, but definitely not cheap parts.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I have had Hawk pads in the car from 2004 to 2006 and they hardly wore at all.. 0_o... Still running a set now with a couple track passes on them (changed in 2006) and they still haven't wore.. Great pads.

But I also got a set of D+S rotors from WS6 store that I have mixed feelings about. They're really not recommended for heavy track use and I've heard stories about how D+S blanks can just about explode on serious abuse (140mph brake stabs at the track.)

I'm piecing together a C5Z brake kit with good parts now. Not going REAL expensive, but definitely not cheap parts.
Yeah looks like I'm def going with the Hawk Pads. What about rotors now?
Old 06-04-2011, 06:01 AM
TECH Veteran

^ You can do the WS6 store set,, but just keep in mind that they are a street rotor. I've done a couple track passes on mine, no cracks yet. Had em on for a couple years now.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ You can do the WS6 store set,, but just keep in mind that they are a street rotor. I've done a couple track passes on mine, no cracks yet. Had em on for a couple years now.
Alright cool man thanks. I don't plan on getting too rough on my car at the track for right now. My other car I had ended up bending all the valves so I need to make sure I have a car to be able to get me to and from my new job reliably everyday!
Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DNTBJELOUS
Any links to the parts you bought HWI?
The pads.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...roducts_id=547

The rotors.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...roducts_id=555

The rotors have black centers, unlike the pictures on that page.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Do a search on Brakemotive they are having a sale right now for all four rotors and front and rear pads for 165!!! I have had a set of these rotors on both of my f-bodys and they are great performance for the money. I run Hawk HPS pads in the front and the z16 pads in the back and have had no problems and much improved stopping power. dont let the price fool you they are powerstop rotors so they are very good quality parts
Old 06-05-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam Strano,

What do you suggest for street rotors with track time a few times a year?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The last time I did pads/rotors I bought ceramic pads and blanks with the longest warranties at Murrays (now O'Reillys Auto Parts) -- I believe they were both Bosch at the time -- they held up well for years. This next time around, due soon, I may not do ceramic again and try something with even more bite, hopefully w/out a ton of dust...

Ask around at your local parts store -- you might be surprised at the warranties on some of their parts... It has been a while since I last checked, so things may have changed in the ensuing years.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Brakes?