General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cooling system riddle...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 12:49 AM
-M-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cooling system riddle...

I recently did the 'throttle body coolant bypass' mod when I was doing my master & slave cylinder replacement. I bled the system accordingly and never faced an issue. I came across my radiator cap (i purchased previously but lost) and i installed it. When I took off the old radiator cap it spewed coolant all over so I topped off the system and bled it. When test driving it after bleeding it stared making weird noises so I popped the hood and it my AC compressor was smoking and red hot. I unplugged the connection and it stopped (dont us AC as its weak).

After that the car ran fine and didnt overheat. It worked good for a few days (about 100mi) then it started sending me for a loop. It warms up fine. when sitting still at idle the car stays at OR below half on the temp gauge. When going above or below 2,500rpm it starts to heat up quick. I could go 80mph and the wind doesnt help keep it cool, but if i do 60 it cools down. If I turn/swerve left or right it cools down rapidly. Not leaking coolant and oil is fine.

What am I facing? I need it to last for 10 more weeks or so for when I will be dropping in a LT1...
Old 06-03-2011, 12:52 AM
-M-

Im thinking its the thermostat, but Im not one to want to do multiple nights of work... Id rather tackle all the gremlins at once...
Old 06-03-2011, 03:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

taking out a LS1 and putting in a LT1?
Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by -M-
I could go 80mph and the wind doesnt help keep it cool, but if i do 60 it cools down.
Well, that seems to be it. Pop off your radiator bracket and you'll probably find some road kill plastered to it. (Verry common. I had what appeared to be a bird on mine the other month. Others have found things more... interesting.)
Old 06-03-2011, 03:41 PM
-M-

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
taking out a LS1 and putting in a LT1?
HELL NO! lol its a little V6...