Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60e Vent Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default 4L60e Vent Tube?

I replaced my factory torque arm on a 2000 B4C with a UMI adjustable relocated torque arm Wednesday. I did this on a 2002 M6 Z28 earlier this year, so I was surprised to feel resistance when I pulled on the factory torque arm to get it out. I pulled too hard, and out came the torque arm with a hose with a tee fitting on the forward side that was clipped to the torque arm. It looks like a vent tube because it's open to atmosphere on the rear side. Makes sense, if you need the trans to vent without the possibility of getting dirt and grease in the trans, make a snorkel. However, I didn't reinstall it because it was already dark and I couldn't find where it came from.

I've driven it a few times since then, and I haven't got a check engine code yet. I don't see why I should if it was open to atmosphere to begin with, but do I need to reinstall this for the life of the trans? The tee came from what looked like the passenger side, where would the other end plug into?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:58 PM
zgp
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vent is routed so that in case of expulsion it does not get on any heat source like the catalytic converter. The tee is usualluy route upwards behind the block. this is to insure no oil is brought in from vacuum

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I replaced my factory torque arm on a 2000 B4C with a UMI adjustable relocated torque arm Wednesday. I did this on a 2002 M6 Z28 earlier this year, so I was surprised to feel resistance when I pulled on the factory torque arm to get it out. I pulled too hard, and out came the torque arm with a hose with a tee fitting on the forward side that was clipped to the torque arm. It looks like a vent tube because it's open to atmosphere on the rear side. Makes sense, if you need the trans to vent without the possibility of getting dirt and grease in the trans, make a snorkel. However, I didn't reinstall it because it was already dark and I couldn't find where it came from.

I've driven it a few times since then, and I haven't got a check engine code yet. I don't see why I should if it was open to atmosphere to begin with, but do I need to reinstall this for the life of the trans? The tee came from what looked like the passenger side, where would the other end plug into?