Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Heads/Cam/Stall build -- need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads/Cam/Stall build -- need advice

hey there guys, im now in the process of piecing together a major mod bump for my DD, just looking to get some advice, ive done tons of reading on cams and purchased the one i felt suits my needs the best, i also just bought valve springs to go with it. i know there is still LOTS more to get, im just moving step by step, im not in a rush to get this all put in. im doing it once, so i want to do it right, just looking to get some guidence from the more experienced members of this board. small side note, my car only has 19k on the clock and it only sees 6k miles a year so its not heavily driven.

Here is what i have so far (just started) :
NSSP cam (230/232 .612 .602 114LSA)
Patriot Gold Valve springs
Ti retainers

Here is a short list of what i have read that im going to need (missing anything?) :
Hardened pushrods (unsure of length, any recommendations?)
Ls7 lifters and new trays, or Morel/Lunati link bar lifters (will Ls7 lifters work well?)
Ls2 timing chain and gears (car has less than 20k so do i still need one?)
New factory oil pump and water pump (same^^)
Rocker trunion upgrade (not sure if needed)
SLP UDP
160* Thermostat
GM headgaskets.
FAST 102
Ported LS2/LS3/LS7 TB
Ported 243s (either WCCH or AI)
ARP head studs.
Coolant and at least one oil change
3200 Circle D or 3600 FTI converter

my goal after this is all said and done is to be at around 445-450whp.

am i missing anything? just looking to get pointed in the right direction for my build, like i said, im in no real hurry so im open for discussion about parts. thanks alot fellas.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't worry about the timing chain or oil pump with that miles, I'd do the ls7 lifters, I wouldn't worry about new trays either
Old 06-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Teching In

thanks for the advice man!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just port your oil pump, and if your already that far into it I would upgrade timing chain. It would suck to wreck something just because you cheaped out on a 100 dollar timing set. Ls7 lifters will do the trick, im using them with the stock lifter trays. Also I didnt see any mention of rod bolt upgrade?? A must in my opinion. Sounds like a cool project though ( if only it had a t56 )
Old 06-04-2011, 04:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zbinkley
I would just port your oil pump, and if your already that far into it I would upgrade timing chain. It would suck to wreck something just because you cheaped out on a 100 dollar timing set. Ls7 lifters will do the trick, im using them with the stock lifter trays. Also I didnt see any mention of rod bolt upgrade?? A must in my opinion. Sounds like a cool project though ( if only it had a t56 )
pushrods are probably going to come in last, hopefully i can get a length reader to be as accurate as possible. and as for the T56......ive considered a swap lol
Old 06-04-2011, 06:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, you made a good selection of the cam for a DD car.

Do you have any bolt-ons on the car right now? cold air intake, headers, exhaust system, gear ratio, fuel pump, injectors....etc?

I'm asking because you will need all of those supporting mods to reach your goal. I think that it's better if you go with a high pressure oil bump like Melling.

Have you decided on your engine compression ratio? In other words, are you going to mill your heads or use a thinner head gasket?

With your targeted level of power, I don't think that upgrading rod bolts is required.

With your cam and ported 243 heads by a reputable company, I don't think that reaching 450 rwhp will be hard at all.

Good luck with your build.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Samer
First of all, you made a good selection of the cam for a DD car.

Do you have any bolt-ons on the car right now? cold air intake, headers, exhaust system, gear ratio, fuel pump, injectors....etc?

I'm asking because you will need all of those supporting mods to reach your goal. I think that it's better if you go with a high pressure oil bump like Melling.

Have you decided on your engine compression ratio? In other words, are you going to mill your heads or use a thinner head gasket?

With your targeted level of power, I don't think that upgrading rod bolts is required.

With your cam and ported 243 heads by a reputable company, I don't think that reaching 450 rwhp will be hard at all.

Good luck with your build.
yeah the car has full engine bolt-ons so its ready for the cam. as for the heads, i was given a recommendation to have them milled to .020. thats if i stay with the ported 243 route, im considering L92/LS3 heads but im worried about PTV clearance and the whole flycutting deal. i want to do the install myself and i dont know a thing about flycutting so that poses a HUGE problem lol

thanks for the advice man!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Teching In

someone mentioned rod bolts as something that should be replaced also, can anyone expand on that?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Teching In

bump from the dead!

im heavily considering doing an LS3 top end for my build, i understand that PTV clearance will be tight and that flycutting may be required. aside from these, will this cams traditional split work be a problem for making power? i really like this cam because of its power and drivability combo, i really like the cost/hp ratio of the LS3 top end.....will both of these work together to get a solid 450 whp??

Quick Reply: Heads/Cam/Stall build -- need advice