Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Knell for my trans?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Death Knell for my trans?

I replaced my stock LS1 MAF with a descreened, ported one but after reading several horror stories about how the ported MAF increases transmission line pressure on a stock engine I removed it (about 3 months later). Now (a week later) when I'm WOT 2-3 gear runs into the rev limiter.

My car has only 35K miles on it. The only engine mods I currently have are a lid, blo-master muffler and TB coolant bypass.

My question is: have I done irreparable damage to my transmission? Can I add type-f fluid to fix this problem or should I start saving for a new transmission?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

welcome to my world! i asked the same question, but a friend who lives near me is going to us comuter software to diagnose the problem. I would smell the trans fluid..if it smells or is low sumthn is goin on. They also told me to run it up in 2nd and 3rd and if i hit the rev limiter that my trans was definately slipping. You can look for my post. its titled "is it slipping"
if you can get a diagnosis let me know im really curious.
good luck
J
Old 02-27-2004, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, Jason

I feel like an idiot not to have done my research about the changing of the stock MAF on an otherwise stock LS1. It kills me because the car has only 35k on it. I'm hoping I can mitigate the damage at this point but if I need to replace or repair the transmission I want to do it right (maybe change the TC or upgrade some of the internals to something beefier).

I read your previous post about "is it slipping" and mine runs into the rev limiter between 2/3. It floats there for what seems like a few seconds. I have yet to check the color or odor of the fluid but the level is o.k.

What have you done with your situation?

Chip

Quick Reply: Death Knell for my trans?