General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No Spark After Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

Old 06-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark After Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

I did an oil pan replacement and did what I had found a thread on LS1 tech about. Jacked up the engine. I reassembled everything....oh and by the way I did an a/c delete while I was at it. Anyway when it was all done I went to start it and it won't start. It has fuel pressure, I was wondering if something needs reset when the battery has been disconnected? Did I break something or disconnect something behind the motor while jacking it 3 inches in the air out of the k-member? Plz help I'm desperate...ran a diagnostics on it and got nothing except misfire codes due to no spark. Please PM me....anyone?
Old 06-04-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

check for a ground that you may have disconnected and not reattached
Old 06-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Grouns....going to check, thanks...
Old 06-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

No luck with finding disconnected grounds.....now I am worried.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, lets start with what you did.
- oil pan - nothing to do with spark, so this probably isn't where the issue is coming from
- removed A/C - what did you do with the grounds and rest of wiring?
- check fuses, could be just this easy
- Just a thought, have you tried pulling the A/C fuse, not sure if that would do anything

Seriously though, DO NOT just start throwing $ at the problem. I used to do that when I first started, and all it does is **** you off even more, because now your car doesn't run, and you have to eat ramen noodles till next payday

Keep researching, double, triple, quadruple checking everything. It usually is something so stupid and miniscule that you overlook it.
good luck, keep us up to date. Have a beer, that usually helps
Old 06-05-2011, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

makes sure the crank sensor is hooked up. It's right above the starter, if it comes undone it will turn over but not fire.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

puttin' it back up on jacks today and going to double and triple chack every single electrical aspect of what I did. Thanks all, thus far for helping with direction.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, here's the nightmare....no I hadn't reconnected the crank sensor plug. Instead I opted to have the crank sensor plug inside the oil pan and retightened the pan severing the plug into the pan...Incidently I was going to be putting a high volume pan on in a few weeks. The plug in the pan isn't worrying me to much. What worries me is that I don't know what color wire goes to which pin on the sensor itself.

Can anyone help the horribly retarded with his match the colored wire to the pin issue.
I have looked on line for a whi;le and have not found what I'm looking for.
Tks.....I am hitting myself with a hammer to my forehead as I type this.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Insano Z28
Ok, here's the nightmare....no I hadn't reconnected the crank sensor plug. Instead I opted to have the crank sensor plug inside the oil pan and retightened the pan severing the plug into the pan...Incidently I was going to be putting a high volume pan on in a few weeks. The plug in the pan isn't worrying me to much. What worries me is that I don't know what color wire goes to which pin on the sensor itself.

Can anyone help the horribly retarded with his match the colored wire to the pin issue.
I have looked on line for a whi;le and have not found what I'm looking for.
Tks.....I am hitting myself with a hammer to my forehead as I type this.
Wow.................... Sorry to hear that but we've all made those mistakes. Thankfully you found the issue at least. You could try just getting a used crank sensor and connector because believe it or not, that connector and crank sensor will be pretty pricey I'm sure.

Btw, you live in Nevada and you deleted the A/C? Not sure if saving a few pounds or HP is worth it in your case.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Ya, people think I'm nuts throwing off the a/c.....but hear in Reno the temps aren't like Vegas....90's for the most part...in the not so distant future this car will recieve upgrades that push it out of the emissions legal category and result in it being a track car....probably have a new DD very soon....another fbody of course, I'm hooked on camaros and firebirds bad now and won't settle for anything else....
Old 06-06-2011, 01:46 AM
Staging Lane

ok, I think I found the schematic I quested for....can anyone confirm for me that on the crank sensor itself you would read the pins as a/b/c when looking directly at the plug in port? if I have this correct then I shall be beyond this so to speak "trial by leaches"
Old 06-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Gotta throw in the towel on this one, this car being my current DD, with everything hooked back up correctly it's throwing PO330 and P1637 codes at me. On top of that I found 2 fractures on the oil pan. I'm guessing the flex of lowering the motor after the oil pan being reattached while the motor was in mid air? This is gonna be a great big lesson learned in the diy area for me. Next excusion of this type is gonna be a straight up removal of the k-member-d/t for ease of access and visual on everything. However, this won't deter me from working on it, nor super modifying it...
Old 06-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default The final result of a bad mistake

Well the end result of cracking the oil pan was the biggest repair bill I've ever had in my life.....$1,589 at the local Chevy dealer. New oil pan and new crank sensor plug with alignment due to dropping the cradle out. I suppose I could look at it like this.The whole engine has new seals and it is prepped for the heads and cam and headers work. Next time (when I'm doing the headers) I'll be patient and use my buddies lift, so the car doesn't slip and bust something.
End thread.
"Breaking **** and a grand scale for 4 decades

Search this Thread