Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2nd gen f body system ideas ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 2nd gen f body system ideas ??

hey guys, any ideas on what may sound good in an 80 t/a? not looking to blow the windows out but i need something with some nuts. space is limited in the trunk (fuel cell n battery), should i build a box, bazooka tube, 10 inch in the deck ???? whatcha thinkin?? pics are very welcomed, thanks!!

Last edited by 80/TA/LT1; 06-05-2011 at 02:49 AM. Reason: type o
Old 06-06-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deck subs suck... build a box... heres my set up i did in my old ta...(2 wedge boxes holding some retro kenwoods and the back wall is false and folds down to lay in ttop and so i can hide stuff at car shows..... in the 2nd pic you can see where i mounted the tweeters to the metal a pillar trim,,, I also put 2 midrange rounds where the center front speaker was so i didnt have to ruin my door panels or change the dash. to see more build up pics go to the page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/282357...ntiac-trans-am

Old 07-28-2011, 02:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hey thanks, thats different, hows it sound?? anybody else got anything??
Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That will definitely kick the crap out of anything in the deck, or that wretched Bazooka tube. Bazooka is an AWFUL, AWFUL brand. Decks will rattle too much for anything particularly good. Are you going for sound quality with decent output or as much output as you can from a small-ish box or what? Give us some more clear goals. I am familiar with quite a few brands of subwoofer but I don't like to recommend stuff without knowing what I'm recommending it for.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some ideas for you as well. My buddy has a 79 almost identical to yours but with camel interior. There are some things you can do in the stock dash area as well with smaller drivers so you can at least get something out of there. I know it is a PITA to get to the stock speaker up front but it can at least give you something coming from up front without touching your doors and messing them up.
I would not use a Bazooka tube in any application. A nice custom enclosure with a quality sub will be a much better option preferably vented in some fashion (discreetly) from the rear deck into the interior cabin. It is more work to do it that way but will yield better results.
In my buddy's car he also left the stock radio in place (not used) and we used a JVC El Chameleon in the space below so when the car is at a show it is a flat black plate and doesn't look like anything is there. It is kind of cool because the judges don't even notice it and see the stock radio in place.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen f body system ideas ??