Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'97 Firebird upgrade choices

Old 06-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '97 Firebird upgrade choices

Howdy ho!

I've got a '97 Firebird - all stock parts, 3.8 6cylinder engine.

In a few years, the engine and transmission are going to need replacing. So, I thought that would be a good opportunity to upgrade the engine and transmission, etc.

So, I need to start by choosing which platform to build on. As I understand it, I can put any GM engine in this body, right? I have been eyeing the LS3 and if my wallet permits, maybe the LS7? Would the LS1 be enough? What do people think about rebuilt engines?

I'd like to start a discussion on what options I have and what everybody's thoughts are.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the 97 doesn't have some sentimental value to it then you would prolly be time, money, and work ahead selling it and picking up a 98-02 with a LS1 already in it.

Otherwise your most efficient option would be to find a crashed 98-02 f-body. Atleast to get all your brackets, harnesses, acc, etc.

All of the LSX engines are externally the same (except the ls4, it has a different bell pattern for the fwd). Budget permitting the LS7 imo would be the way to go. Both the LS7 and the LS3 are gen4 engines some.there will have to be special considerations when choosing those such as cam phaser and DOD. As far as if the LS1 would be enough all that depends on your personal goals.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '97 Firebird upgrade choices