Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is my rear end totally #ucked up? HELP

Old 06-05-2011, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my rear end totally #ucked up? HELP

Ok this is the deal....

I am new to the ls1/f-body scene. I bought my 1998 z28 3 weeks ago. Its a AUTOMATIC...It has been daily driven with out even a thought of a noise or problem... Then.........

Today I was driving to my buddies house(30 miles away)
And just before I got there I made a uturn on a side road. So when I stopped to turn I felt and heard a clicking noise in the rear end!#%ĄŁ#%ĄŁ#!!!

Then smoke! Came from underneath the car.....and a smell of burning oil....
So I called AAA and had them tow it to my house. I didn't know whether me driving it would make things worse....

It makes a metal to metal clicking noise in reverse or drive. But it does move!
And also klanks when I change gears....

Please let me know your opinion and/or pointers what I am looking at? I have a mechanic checking it Monday but I am nervous.......
Old 06-05-2011, 04:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you sure your transmission didn't take a ****?......also, you might have simply broken the universal joint where the driveshaft meets the rearend.......get under there and grab the driveshaft, try to move it around, you'll see what i'm talking about......if that's what it is, they're fairly cheap and all you need is an 11mm wrench to install a new universal.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeNy
Ok this is the deal....

I am new to the ls1/f-body scene. I bought my 1998 z28 3 weeks ago. Its a AUTOMATIC...It has been daily driven with out even a thought of a noise or problem... Then.........

Today I was driving to my buddies house(30 miles away)
And just before I got there I made a uturn on a side road. So when I stopped to turn I felt and heard a clicking noise in the rear end!#%ĄŁ#%ĄŁ#!!!

Then smoke! Came from underneath the car.....and a smell of burning oil....
So I called AAA and had them tow it to my house. I didn't know whether me driving it would make things worse....

It makes a metal to metal clicking noise in reverse or drive. But it does move!
And also klanks when I change gears....

Please let me know your opinion and/or pointers what I am looking at? I have a mechanic checking it Monday but I am nervous.......
You're going to have to jack up the car and put it on jack stands and slide under there and start looking to see if you see signs of damage or oil anywhere. Let us know what you find out. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, just got word from the mechanic. He said that the fluid in the rearend went bad??? He said it had a horrible smell and it was super old. He also said there was a small leak. So he packed it and put a new seal and he said the Noise has gone away song with any clicking or clanking..... Could it be this simple?

Search this Thread