LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ac prof. charged still nothing???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac prof. charged still nothing???

Just got back into camaros after my ex took mine for child support..yay..anyways its a 93 z..i had the ac dye checked for leaks and evacuated and charged and nothing...the ac compressor just cycles on off on off..usually this means low on freon..i tried unpluggin the sensors and the battery etc..the shop wants to inspect other parts for big money any ideas??? its 95 in detroit lately and thats hot when your used to 30 degrees and lower help! thanks
Old 06-05-2011, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

you need to have a twin gauge set hooked up and be able to read the high and low side pressures. If its cycling out then its either kicking out the compressor cause there is to low a reading on the low side OR too high a reading on the high side. No real way to know what is causing it without knowing what the gauges read. High side should be roughly 2.4 times the outside temp if it is way higher then that or way lower then that its not gonna work.

Over charging it will also cause it to kick out and not cool for ****.
It could be a wiring issue as well. Also could be a clogged orifice tube and if that is the case you will be able to see the high side pressure spike really quickly while the low side drops.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

also i wouldnt try running it long with the sensors on the ac system unhooked. not sure if they send a signal for high pressure or not when they are unhooked or if they need a constant signal for the ac to operate. But just in case i wouldnt do it.
Lets say it doesnt send the signal to turn it off and the pressure spikes you could damage the system or hurt yourself.