Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancer Installer tool stuck in crankshaft.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancer Installer tool stuck in crankshaft.

Help from anyone ???

I am in the middle of a cam install now. I am putting the harmonic balancer back on (LS3). I bought an M16 threaded rod (~1 ft long) and threaded it into the crankshaft. I have an M16 nut and 2 big washers for pushing the balancer on.

I got the balancer most of the way on and then tried to remove the threaded rod (so I can go the rest of the way with the old crank bolt). Problem is... the threaded rod is stuck in the crankshaft. I guess the M16 rod stretched from the force of intalling the balancer. Any ideas for getting it out?

Also, does the balancer need to be rotationally aligned with the crankshaft? I didn't notice a keyway like the old 350's used to have... so I figured it didn't matter.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

No keyway....you need to have something to grab onto the rod with. Perhaps 2 nuts tightened into each other would work.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Teching In

I thought about that... but I would have to order a M16 nut. Lowes/parts store/walmart doesn't have them.

I have a bolt on there now... I just need a way to keep it still. I tried to gum up the threads on the end, but the nut just drives right over them. If I had a welder I would put a bead on it.

Guess I should postpone my dyno tune appointment tomorrow .
Old 06-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Pipe wrench got it

so happy right now.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

Did you lube it a little bit before putting it in? I left a light coating on mine just ease the entry/exit a bit.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Lube and an installer tool works wonders
Old 06-21-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just got a question. I am putting my balancer back on and was wondering the process. If i read correctly u just heat the balancer then put it on tighten it with a used bolt then replace it with another bolt and torque back down. Do u have to align the balancer with anything? Is there a key way? What keeps the balancer from breaking loose and spinning on crank? Thanks
Old 06-30-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's no keyway and by the time you get the SOB back on you will understand why it don't spin. Make sure you use a tool to put it on, not a hammer.

Originally Posted by 00duvall
Just got a question. I am putting my balancer back on and was wondering the process. If i read correctly u just heat the balancer then put it on tighten it with a used bolt then replace it with another bolt and torque back down. Do u have to align the balancer with anything? Is there a key way? What keeps the balancer from breaking loose and spinning on crank? Thanks

Quick Reply: Balancer Installer tool stuck in crankshaft.