General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Brake light stuck on, not the switch?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light stuck on, not the switch?

ive got a 96 trans am a4 and my brake light is stuck on. i took out the console and made sure the brake lever made contact with the switch and it does. i removed the switch and the light stayed on, which tells me something else is wrong. the car has no abs ( sjm kit), but the light did not come on until months after i removed the abs unit. also, lt1's do not have a brake fluid sensor, so obviously not that.

im looking at the schematic and it looks like the wire gores to through the brake combo valve(abs block?) and also the daytime running light module. what are the odds of the DRL module being bad? and if its bad, is there anyway to bypass it or repair it? im assuming the combo valve is built into the abs module, and seeing as the light didnt come on until months after, i doubt thats it. if it could be this, though, is there a way to jump the plugs to get the light off? normally i'd just pull the bulb, but i'd rather keep the functional light so bulb removal is last resort. thanks for any info yall could provide.

-Jake
Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Switch could be shorted internally or the wire going to the switch has shorted to ground somewhere.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

thats what i was thinking. of course i doubt the switch could short out internally. its a very simple switch made of two strips of copper and a chunk of plastic. anyways when i took off the switch, the light was still on which means its grounding out somewhere else. just wasnt sure if i had some bad wiring or that drl thing went bad.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Not to jack your thread but, Im curious as to is there a way to turn DRL off completely without pulling the e brake.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The BRAKE light also tells you when there is a basic brake malfunction. Fluid level low, brake booster, vacuum leak, etc.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1okie
Not to jack your thread but, Im curious as to is there a way to turn DRL off completely without pulling the e brake.
Here you go.....

Search this Thread