Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

stereo cuts off randomly

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stereo cuts off randomly

In my gf's car has a weird electrical issue in her 2002 firebird. At first it wasn't very often, but now it's pretty regular.

The stereo will randomly shut off like you just turned off the car and opened the door. Sometimes it will come back on immediately, but sometimes it won't. Her's the kicker tho... if it doesn't come on by itself, you have to lock and unlock the doors with the driver's button and the stereo immediately comes on. Also, while the stereo is off, the passenger side door buttons won't work. Anyone ever heard of these problems or have any ideas? The car has been in a small wreck in the front, but this is just weird. Kinda sounds like a short between a couple wires...
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably the BCM solder joints. Do a quickie search you'll find the info - I think it is in the electronics sticky actually.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Teching In

fuse could be going also / wiring issue.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Probably the BCM solder joints. Do a quickie search you'll find the info - I think it is in the electronics sticky actually.
Yep BCM sloder joints are bad. I had to re solder mine about a year ago and have not had a problem since.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trailblazino6
fuse could be going also / wiring issue.
A fuse "doesn't start to go", its either blown or not. OP its sounds like the dreaded BCM solder joints.