General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What is the name of this A/C part?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the name of this A/C part?

My aftermarket exhaust appears to have rubbed a hole in my AC system and now I need to replace this part. I don't know what it's function or name is though. Can anyone help?

Also, since there's a pinhole leak in the system, will I need to have a factory do any service to my system, or can I just replace the pipe and fill it with R134A? Thanks guys!

What is the name of this A/C part?-wnape.jpg
Old 06-06-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is your Evaporator Tube (Part No. 19169412) which runs from the condenser to your evap (also contains orifice tube).

If you have a leak in this line you will need to evacuate the system, install the new parts (evap tube, accumulator/drier, and orifice tube) and get it recharged. You can do this yourself if you have the right tools but I would recommend having a professional do the job.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS-1Z28
That is your Evaporator Tube (Part No. 19169412) which runs from the condenser to your evap (also contains orifice tube).

If you have a leak in this line you will need to evacuate the system, replace the line and get it recharged. You can do this yourself if you have the right tools but I would recommend having a professional do the job.
evacuating and charging... i can see needing a shop to do it, but to replace the tube yourself is easy, two bolts, one on each side.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by battousai
evacuating and charging... i can see needing a shop to do it, but to replace the tube yourself is easy, two bolts, one on each side.
He would need to make an extra trip to the shop or wait for the mechanic to finish evacuating the system to install the new tube. IMO it's not worth the hassle and more than likely the shop won't charge labor for it... Now if he needed a new compressor/condenser it would be a different story.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS-1Z28

If you have a leak in this line you will need to evacuate the system, install the new parts (evap tube, accumulator/drier, and orifice tube) and get it recharged. You can do this yourself if you have the right tools but I would recommend having a professional do the job.
I'm going to need a new accumulator/drier because of this thing? Why is that?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gallstaff
I'm going to need a new accumulator/drier because of this thing? Why is that?
See what you'll find in google but they generally serve as a filter and remove moisture from the system... They typically get clogged with debris within a couple years and the desiccant material that absorbs moisture is delicate and cannot be exposed to the atmosphere for too long.

Bottom line: They're cheap, easy to replace and required on most warranties.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Launching!

I'm trying to grab the dryer and evaporator tube on Amazon, but Amazon recommends I also replace the "A/C EVAPR - A/C MAN CONT" which I assume means the evaporator. Do I really need to replace the EVAPORATOR too?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Alright, I've got a new orifice tube, receiver/accumulation, and evaporator tube. I'm wondering now, since my AC system h as a pressure of 0 due to this leak, if I need to evacuate the system BEFORE I install these new parts, of I can just install the new parts, then take it to a shop to have it evacuated and recharged.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Evacuate/recover/recharge after install.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Personally i would evacuate it still. you will want to pull vacuum on the system, after system leaks i normally will pull vacuum for 30 minutes. Then recharge the system with specified amount of refridgerant
Old 06-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
Personally i would evacuate it still. you will want to pull vacuum on the system, after system leaks i normally will pull vacuum for 30 minutes. Then recharge the system with specified amount of refridgerant
Of course, but I was asking specifically whether I would have to evacuate BEFORE I remove and install the new parts, or if I could remove the bad evap tube and drier, THEN evac and recharge.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Refer to my post above.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Alright well I got all my parts in (almost). Maybe you guys can hep me out here.

My new ac drier came with some little rubber O rings sort of affixed to the two drier ports that I can either leave or peel off. It also shipped with two of the rubber-on-metal type o rings in a little pouch with the drier. My question is, which ones do I use when I screw them together?

Here's the metal type that came in the pouch:

Here's the straight-up rubber time that was stuck on the drier.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

The metal/rubber ones.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rushin
The metal/rubber ones.
I appreciate your input. Can I ask how or why you know that's the correct answer?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Not to hijack; but mine quit working last week too. The same line has a leak, towards the front. Shop wants $350 to replace, evacuate and recharge (that's including $89 for the line). Is it just me or is that a lot more than it should be??

I've got a new compressor, accumulator and orifice tube from my last car that never got used... Guess i'll get at least the accum/dryer put on
Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Launching!

I bought the evap tube new from Rockauto for like 50 dollars. It even comes with an orifice tube already installed in the line. The accumulator I got from Amazon for 45 dollars. I took my car to the shop today and they evac and recharged for $120. I'd say buy the parts yourself, install them, and then have a shop do the work. It took me MAYBE an hour to get the accumulator and evaporator line put in. The shop had it taken care of in an hour.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you still have refrigerant in the system the shop will evacuate what you have int ehre, then put that right back in and only charge you for the refrig. that you lost just FYI. If they want to evacuate 5lbs out and then charge you to fill the whole thing they are ripping you off.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gallstaff
I appreciate your input. Can I ask how or why you know that's the correct answer?
Sorry I haven't responded in a few days. Reason I say all this is because I've been down the A/C route several times with several cars, including mine just last week. These cars came factory with the metal/rubber o-rings.

Quick Reply: What is the name of this A/C part?