Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Sudden Tranny/Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden Tranny/Clutch Issue

My 2000 SS vert M6 has almost 80k and still has, I believe, it's original clutch. Pulling into my drive tonight I push in the clutch and suddenly hear light rattling and grinding. The pedal also suddenly felt "off," softer w/ less resistance. I stop and experiment with the shifter and clutch. Its making some small but disturbing noises, and refusing to go into some gears, reverse especially. Again this just suddenly happened with no warning. This car is not raced or driven hard, just an occasional driver/cruiser. What do you guys think? Did it's clutch and/or master cylinder finally die? Or ?? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Steve aka Big Pencil
Fort Worth, TX
Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A sudden loss with odd pedal feel like that could be your slave cylinder. I'd start by getting the car up in the air and inspecting the bellhousing area for fluid leakage. If you can, put the car on 4 jackstands and start it up. Then run try to put the shifter into reverse and watch the rear wheels. If the rear wheels start to turn as you are putting the shifter into gear then you are having a clutch release no issue and it is probably time to pull the trans to inspect the slave and clutch.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your response Jeremy. No sign of fluid, and reservoir full. Will give your test a try next.