New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camaro z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool camaro z28

I got a 1999 z28 its pretty much stock other than a slp intake and the ram air hood its got 70000 on it and i would like to get other 50 60 hp out of it.I talked to a few guys and they said headers and a full exhaust with a good tune would do it open to any ideas or tips!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will not get 50hp off just an exhaust system.. Long Tube Headers and a Full exhaust is Probably the best and most common starting point since it will sound good and will free up extra power so...
YES get yourself a set of LongTubes and a Full exhuast set up. True Duals are probably your best bet if you're strictly looking for power, it is a little more expensive though.
* Got a 99' ? i would sugguest getting an LS6 style intake manifold since all Fbodys 98'-00' came with more restrictive Intakes.
*A solid Tune is crucial, you will get the most out of you're bolt ons with a tune!

Sometimes its not all about HP adders, But also how you're putting that power to the ground.. Other typical Mods would be a stall (if you're Auto) and also some 'gears" (ring and pinion gears) TYPICALLY auto fbody owners go with 3.73's and M6 guys go with 4.10's

THats sort of my sugguestions for starters but theres alot of Info and tech members on this site that can help you get more ummmfff out of you're car
Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by bestlude
You will not get 50hp off just an exhaust system..
Maybe not 50hp, but I think a 40hp (engine) gain is attainable going from completely stock to LT headers, ORY, a cutout and tuning.

Long Tube Headers and a Full exhaust is Probably the best and most common starting point since it will sound good and will free up extra power so...
YES get yourself a set of LongTubes and a Full exhuast set up.
Sounds like good advice.

* Got a 99' ? i would sugguest getting an LS6 style intake manifold since all Fbodys 98'-00' came with more restrictive Intakes.
*A solid Tune is crucial, you will get the most out of you're bolt ons with a tune!
More good advice.

Sometimes its not all about HP adders, But also how you're putting that power to the ground.. Other typical Mods would be a stall (if you're Auto) and also some 'gears" (ring and pinion gears) TYPICALLY auto fbody owners go with 3.73's and M6 guys go with 4.10's
I agree with the 4.10 gears for an M6. I would skip the gear swap for an A4 though, just go right to a 3500-4000 stall.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:54 PM

Default thanks!

When my buddy told me i could gain that much just off headers and exhaust i was kinda thinking that cant be right.I am def going with exhaust just trying to come up with ways to get some more hp without pulling it all apart with things like a cam and what not which i know thats one of the first things guys like to do with the ls1.I also heard that the stock oil pumps are junk and give out is that something to worry about at 70000 cause i got a bad oil pan gasket and if i am doing that should i get a new oil pump?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

as stated above, definitely get some longtubes and full exhaust(true duals will have the deepest tone). but if your going for loud, get slps. also a lid, ported and polished throttle body, free mods and a tune will get you pretty significant gain. and also an ls6 intake
Old 06-08-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the stock oil pump isn't just garbage that you should upgrade immediately. It's something most guys do during a cam swap as you are already there at that point and an oil pump, just like a waterpump, alternator..ect...will need to be replaced eventually. So because it can be difficult to get to and replace. Most guys wait until a cam swap later down the road since the pump will be right there. Replace it with a ported LS6 oil pump available from many performance shops like Texas Speed and Thunder Racing.

Since most LS1's put out about 300rwhp or 350ish at the fly I could see 50-60rwhp from full bolt ons which is probably what your friend meant.

-CAI
-LID
-P&P TB
-LS6 Intake (98'-00)
-Headers/y-pipe
-Catback/cutout
-Tune

can put you anywhere from 345-355rwhp (from my years on tech seems to be the most common numbers for full bolt on cars)

As for gears I've chosen not to do them as most M6 guys who do 4.10's in the stock 10 bolt rear end up busting their rear. So instead of wasting money on gears I will put it toward a 9" rear after my 10 bolt craps out. But there are guys who are running 4.10's in the stock rear and they are holding up so I guess you just take your chances.

Also, put on your reading glasses, crack a beer and read this thread twice...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html
Old 06-08-2011, 06:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
No, the stock oil pump isn't just garbage that you should upgrade immediately. It's something most guys do during a cam swap as you are already there at that point and an oil pump, just like a waterpump, alternator..ect...will need to be replaced eventually. So because it can be difficult to get to and replace. Most guys wait until a cam swap later down the road since the pump will be right there. Replace it with a ported LS6 oil pump available from many performance shops like Texas Speed and Thunder Racing.
Agreed.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Click my sig.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:51 PM

Well its good ta hear they are not junk! but i really need to get this oil pan gasket changed and I am wondering how much of a task this is going to be because i would be doing it on the ground! And also couple things i have notice is one today when i was driving it i was in first and if i gave it little gas and let off felt little slop in the drive line i dont know if its trans slop or rear end slop or maybe bad universal? and when I am going down the highway and just being easy in 6th i hear a whining noise its not real loud but its not quiet i am really the only person that can hear it but thinking maybe a bad yoke bearing or axle bearing?
Old 06-11-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

could be your rear going.