Sponsored by:

Missing star connector ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 04:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Missing star connector ???

Hey ya'll,

Ok, 2 weeks ago the fuel pump went out. When it was replaced, shop said the PCM went bad. Replaced PCM and then it wouldn't work. Shop called 2 days after that and said they had found a burnt out wire under the PCM.

They fixed the wire and everything was Ok. When I picked the car up, the gas gauge is now not working. Dealership looked at it for 2 days and couldn't figure it out. The dealer sent the car to another dealership to have it checked and it's now been there for 2 days.

I spoke to the tech today and he said that he has checked everything he can think of however, there is supposed to be a 'star connector' that is a plug in to read the pcm, sir, etc, etc, Tech told me he can't find the star port. Says that he can read the pcm but gets nothing from the gauge panel, the body control module, or any other system.???

Anyone here have any insight?
Old 02-26-2004, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

damn kevin, if it weren't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any at all.

never heard of a "star connector". do the rest of the guages work?
Old 02-26-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

info on star connector:
http://carprogrammer.com/Z28/PCM/GMTechlink/TL_June.pdf

Looks like its some sort of multiple electrical jumper that could be disconnected for diagnostic purposes. Instead of supplying power to everything, if you take it off you can test different devices by themselves to isolate an electrical problem.

Also seems odd that the fuel pump died (Computer Controlled?), had it replaced and then the computer dies. Did they disconnect the battery when working on your car? Then the fuel guage doesnt work and isnt that in the tank with the fuel pump? I am unsure but it sounds like that dealer rushed and made some mistakes. Then again I dont trust anybody lol.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

All the rest of the gauges work. I am at their mercy now...cars been gone all week and still, no one knows what's wrong.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

duh. good point "ta", maybe they didn't connect the fuel level sender?