Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

What length injectors do I need?

Old 06-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What length injectors do I need?

I am upgrading to LS3 heads and intake from LS6 heads and intake, but I plan on reusing my aftermarket fuel rail. Does the intake or the rail itself determine the injector height? Will LS1/LS6 stuff work on all intakes if you use LS1 mounting height rails?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS3/7 injectors are quite a bit shorter than the LS1/6 injectors, ~ 1" shorter. I don't know that you'd be able to reuse your LS1/6 rails without adaptors or spacers.

They also use a different connector, but there are double-sided connectors available.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

would need to cut down the mounting tabs on the fuel rail and tweak the crossover tube...not sure how much play you would have in the crossover tube tho
Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by deatschwerks
The LS3/7 injectors are quite a bit shorter than the LS1/6 injectors, ~ 1" shorter. I don't know that you'd be able to reuse your LS1/6 rails without adaptors or spacers.

They also use a different connector, but there are double-sided connectors available.
Whoops, im actually talking about aftermarket fuel rails.

I guess what my question is, is the factory LS1 and LS6 rail use the same injector hole to mounting flange height? Anyone have pics of each rail? I just need to know If I put my ls1 aftermarket rails on the ls3 intake, if itll need ls3 or ls1 length injectors
Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

O.k. I am looking for the same answers. I have aftermarket rails and I want to actually lower the rail for a clearance issue. So I am assuming that all that needs to be modified is rail mounting blocks. This is for a LS1 style injector.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
O.k. I am looking for the same answers. I have aftermarket rails and I want to actually lower the rail for a clearance issue. So I am assuming that all that needs to be modified is rail mounting blocks. This is for a LS1 style injector.
in order for you to lower the rail, youll need to get shorter injectors
Old 06-15-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by charleysheen
in order for you to lower the rail, youll need to get shorter injectors
That is the point of my question. Once the injectors are purchased will they fit in my LS1 cathedral port intake as well as the aftermarket LS1 fuel rails (o-ring size specifically)?

All I have to do is shorten the blocks on the fuel rail mounting tabs and I should be good?

Also since I have a LS1/6 do I need a different harness to fit the LS3/7 injector electrically?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
That is the point of my question. Once the injectors are purchased will they fit in my LS1 cathedral port intake as well as the aftermarket LS1 fuel rails (o-ring size specifically)?

All I have to do is shorten the blocks on the fuel rail mounting tabs and I should be good?

Also since I have a LS1/6 do I need a different harness to fit the LS3/7 injector electrically?
i dunno, maybe start your own thread asking
Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by charleysheen
i dunno, maybe start your own thread asking
Good job dick. Get these answers and it helps you also..
Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
FormerVendor

The fuel rail ports should be the same diameter, and intake ports should be similar...I believe the LS3/7 are a fraction of a millimeter wider. The o-ring we use for the LS3/7 injector is a fraction thicker than the LS1/6 o-ring we supply.

The questions I have would be if the ports are spaced the same or close enough between the two head/IM designs and if there is enough adjustability in the way the fuel rails mount to make up for the 1" difference in height.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Guess I need to buy some and find out. One of the fuel rail developers should be able to tell us.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The injectors will all fit (ls3 length, ls2 length, ls1 length) with aftermarket rails. You'll just need to set the fuel rail at the correct height using a spacer, or by making a bracket. I don't know how it took so long to answer this question..
Old 06-18-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Call john at fuel injector connection trust me. Their will be no guessing he will get you the right stuff, he did me and shipped it the same day too. Couldnt be happier
Old 06-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Well, just as I suspected. they did not fit.

The ls1 style injectors in the pic are too loose as previously stated. the ls3 intake has a little too much room for the o-rings. the height is off, but more importantly, the spacing for the mounting bolts is different. the frontmost mounting biolt on the ls3 intake is moved forward from the ls1/ls6 style

this stuff is never easy
Attached Thumbnails What length injectors do I need?-ls3intake.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What length injectors do I need?