Sponsored by:

which pcm to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which pcm to buy?

Hi guys.
Im in the market of looking for pcm. I saw a lot of pcm for ls1.
my question are, does it matter of what part number to use?
Is there one pcm better then the other?
what should I delete beside the VATS?
I want the car run so I can perform a dyno tunes.
I am running a lq4, l92 heads, ls3 intake, 90mm throttle body, and a t56.

eric
Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 AM
FormerVendor

I like the 2003+ 1 meg PCM's, but the old 0411 works ok also. Some of it has to do with the harness.

In 2006 GM added Virtual Flex Fuel to the Calibration. The PCM will calculate the E% and adjust the strategy accordingly. This can be a pain to tune and get correct, but it pays off in the long run.

All of the old 512kb PCM's (99 to 02) have Drive by Wire and Drive by Cable. 2003 on up you need to find PCM service number that have the IAC hardware for the Drive by Cable
Old 06-09-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CalEditor@PCMCalibrators
I like the 2003+ 1 meg PCM's, but the old 0411 works ok also. Some of it has to do with the harness.

In 2006 GM added Virtual Flex Fuel to the Calibration. The PCM will calculate the E% and adjust the strategy accordingly. This can be a pain to tune and get correct, but it pays off in the long run.

All of the old 512kb PCM's (99 to 02) have Drive by Wire and Drive by Cable. 2003 on up you need to find PCM service number that have the IAC hardware for the Drive by Cable
How's Flex fuel of 2004 different from 2006?

+1 on the 2003+ PCM's, just get the list of DBC compatible numbers.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jim_PA
How's Flex fuel of 2004 different from 2006?

+1 on the 2003+ PCM's, just get the list of DBC compatible numbers.
No Flex Fuel Sensor is needed. It calculates the E% from the O2 sensors. This can be a huge issue in tuning because if the tune is off the PCM thinks it has Ethanol in it. You need to turn off the VFF get the car or truck tuned. Then turn it back on
Old 06-09-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CalEditor@PCMCalibrators
No Flex Fuel Sensor is needed. It calculates the E% from the O2 sensors. This can be a huge issue in tuning because if the tune is off the PCM thinks it has Ethanol in it. You need to turn off the VFF get the car or truck tuned. Then turn it back on
Good to know, I plan on doing a thorough tune of my flex Yukon some day.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Teching In

does it matter if I have a manual? will the automatic pcm affect the manual trans?
I have a chance to buy a 2002 ls1 pcm of a camaro.
what number should I be looking for?
If I get 2003 and up. may not work, because My stand alone harness I believe is base on a 2000 camaro.

thank you.
Eric
Old 06-10-2011, 05:06 AM
Banned

The service number on a 2002 F-body PCM is 12200411, but just becaquse it has that service number, it doesn't garentee, it is set up for a 2002 F-body, since that PCM was used on other vehicles, with differant tunes in it
Old 06-10-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toaccords
does it matter if I have a manual? will the automatic pcm affect the manual trans?
I have a chance to buy a 2002 ls1 pcm of a camaro.
what number should I be looking for?
If I get 2003 and up. may not work, because My stand alone harness I believe is base on a 2000 camaro.

thank you.
Eric
The automatic transmission tables will still be in the manual trans tune file (from what I've seen). But by starting with a manual transmission tune file, the calibration of DTC's for torque converter trans pressures, etc. will already be disabled. The other advantage is that the engine calibration for things like throttle cracker and follower, etc will be closer if you start with a manual trans file.

In the end, you can make an automatic trans tune file work just fine with a manual trans, but I think it's easier if you start with the manual file.

One thing I'm not sure of is cruise control functionality, and if there are any effects of running a manual trans behind something that was originally set up for an automatic.

Quick Reply: which pcm to buy?