Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

how many hours to install system

Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how many hours to install system

Hello everyone. I'm going to strip the car of door panels and kicker panels.I will also reinstall all panels myself. After that how many hours for one person and how many hours for two people that are experienced. rewire all speaker wires and connections. Take out factory amp. Install two amps, install four door speakers install wire to the one sub. Hook up gauge wire to battery terminal and hookup groung cable. Thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a weekend thing to:
remove all panels,factory wiring, amp and speakers.
Run all new wires to amps and speakers, power the amp.
Tune to specs and Reinstall panels.

Two people who know what they are doing can rush through it in a day if really necessary.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you know what you're doing, that's probably a 2 day job to do it properly and cleanly. If you're just going to slop it together then a day.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

If you're familiar with how to take everything apart and run it then it'd be a one long day job, if not then I'd say a weekend job. Last install I did I set up my system minus running new speaker wires to a second amp in 6 hours or so while hiding all the wires, going through the passenger grommet and removing the seats (to hide the cable better). That was just wiring in subs and an amp by myself. With two experienced people I'd think you'd be able to do it all in 8 hours or so, depending on if you run into any problems.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, I'm a pro at taking panels, seats and anything else out and reinstalling but don't know anything about stereo install. Gonna have a shop do the install. Thanks for all the help everyone. I like the idea of running wire under the seat. Thanks

Last edited by johnp94; 06-09-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Stereo as in head unit? That's simple stuff, you could probably do it in 20 min.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Teching In

I am doing this to a 94 T/A today: 4 speakers, HU, 4 channel amp with speaker rewire, mono amp, cap and subs... I have 8 hours. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool, thanks. Looking forward to hearing from you. Please let me know about the equipment install because I breeze through the panel removal and install fast since I've swapped out complete interiors a couple times. Hope it comes out great.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Teching In

So, got everything put in at 7 hours. I had to fab up brackets for the speakers because my manager sold the kid 6" Kickers, so that took a while. I am not done yet though, because I didn't get all of the output from the factory amp to the front speakers out. But I just figured that out while I was typing, so add ten minutes for that and twenty for tuning.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to take the passenger seat out to run the power gauge wire under the carpet to the back. I'm hoping to not have to take driver seat out also because I will be dropping the car off for the day to the installer.Can i be Ok with just the one seat removed. Hooking up two amps and 1 sub.Also Will a polk 600 watt 4 channel amp be good for the 4 polk speakers and the rear hatch speakers ? I'm working off a sony head unit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how many hours to install system