Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hooker headers an mounts?? for 69 camaro ls1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile hooker headers an mounts?? for 69 camaro ls1 swap

Got a 69 camaro ls1 swap here need some help...Has anyone used the hooker headers an their mounts? I have read somewhere I can use the stock camaro front end acc. (no a/c) an stock camaro ls1 oil pan if I used the hooker header an mounts. Can anyone tell me if this is true an how well does it work an does the oil pan clear the k-member an not hanging down low like the h-8 oil pan does. An how close is the lsx motor to the firewall. thanks for any help.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Teching In

i used the hooker headers and mounts in my 69 nova(same as camaro).the headers fit great.the engine is very close to the firewall though.it's so close my dipstick won't come between the firewall and engine.i used the gm muscle car pan and it fit but is real close to the frame but does fit.accesorys i used the stock camaro w/p and i used a bracket that sat the alt.up on the drivers side.i'm only running an alternator so i couldn't tell you about p/s.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

I used the Hooker mounts and headers on my 67 swap. Many on here have and or are using them, but they set the engine way too far back in my opinion. So far in fact that I could barely route my harness behind the engine. I have a smoothed firewall, but I suspect there might be some issues with the heater hose outlets on a stock setup. They also created clearance issues with my 4l60e (inside the tunnel) so I ended up removing them and going to the S&P mounts which I am very pleased with.

I did like the fact that the Hooker mounts left plenty of room for the stock F body pan to clear all the stearing components. In the end I had to notch the pan, but I am very pleased with the final engine placement.

Get ready for several replies telling you they use the Hooker mounts without any issues. Merely saying this wasn't the case for me...
Old 06-16-2011, 06:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys for the info ttt anymore stores? anyone doing the same set up with the tko600??
Old 06-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Teching In

I used just the hooker mounts on my 69 nova which is the same pretty much. The engine hit the heater box.. So I just redrilled the holes..
Old 06-16-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

was that with the big block heater box? thats what i have in the camaro now???

Originally Posted by 69bigblock
I used just the hooker mounts on my 69 nova which is the same pretty much. The engine hit the heater box.. So I just redrilled the holes..
Old 06-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Teching In

i've been looking at this set for my 68 -f body ls-2. did you use the stock location mounts? i have the stock heater core and i have concern's about the clearence.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Yes, that was with the big block heater box...
Old 06-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Launching!

I have the hooker mounting plates and headers on my 68. I swapped the small block heater core for the big block heater core because of the possible clearance issue. My engine sits about 3/4 of an inch off the fire wall and I run a tremec 5 speed so I dont have to worry about a tranny dip stick. All my steering clears the f body pan, no mods done to the pan. I'm happy with the way the motor sits with the hooker stuff.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hookers here, too. Plenty of firewall clearance to route harness, fuel line, vacuum lines. I'm guessing 2 inches driver's side & 1 1/2 pass side. As with the above posts, I went to the big block heater box, because its' tubes exit the box farther toward the pass side in the engine bay. Because I have a standard LS1 from 98, the alternator sits down low on the front driver's side. The bottom alt pin/bolt had to be ground a bit so that it would clear the crossmember. Before I knew about the Hooker mounts, I had payed someone to cut my oil pan for clearance. I found out too late that the pan didn't need altering at all. Having to redecide to use the Hookers, I would still choose them. This conversion is with the TKO 600/5 sp manual.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok thanks man so ur using the tremec also am using the tko600 are u doin anything witht he vss on the tranny? thats my next thing i have to work on.

Originally Posted by 68 RS Convertible
I have the hooker mounting plates and headers on my 68. I swapped the small block heater core for the big block heater core because of the possible clearance issue. My engine sits about 3/4 of an inch off the fire wall and I run a tremec 5 speed so I dont have to worry about a tranny dip stick. All my steering clears the f body pan, no mods done to the pan. I'm happy with the way the motor sits with the hooker stuff.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Its amazing how some things fit totally different than others. ITs just a matter of 0-1inch tolerence.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

so true its not funny
Originally Posted by 69bigblock
Its amazing how some things fit totally different than others. ITs just a matter of 0-1inch tolerence.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 69blackwhss
ok thanks man so ur using the tremec also am using the tko600 are u doin anything witht he vss on the tranny? thats my next thing i have to work on.
Mine doesn't use the VSS, and is a manual with mechanical speedo. There are no stalling issues.
This came from a recent thread down below in "Conversions".
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...wires-vss.html
I think the VSS might apply only to the Automatic, whose shift points are tied in to driveline speed, as detected by the VSS and sent to the computer.
Maybe someone can chime in with some insight.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Teching In

I have a similar question...

Will any aftermarket truck headers out there fit on a LS engine swap for a 1969 Camaro? I ask this because the stock truck manifolds fit, so shouldn't truck headers work also?!?!? Has anyone attempted this?!
Old 06-19-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

i used the hooker headers and mounts on our 69 camaro. motor was way to tight to the firewall. headers were nice but overpriced imo. ended up redrilling the holes in the hooker plated to get the motor where i wanted it.

For the other camaro and nova i did a swap on, we used the transdapt mount plates and dynatech longtubes. great fit and finish. they work very well and needed no clearancing. i would highly recommend this setup for your car!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did u have to modif ur oil pan tho that's what am trying to say away from an am going with just painted black headers on this build
Old 07-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Teching In

This is good info, but some part#s would be helpful hooker makes a bunch of headers and different mounts?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Teching In

thanks guys for the info! But is there a setup that i can buy that will just fit for my 1970 nova.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Teching In

The only header company that has told me there headers will work with the z-bar is
S W with street & performance mounts, stock location for small block chevy. Hooker tech guy said there dark side will work with any trans. I asked him twice, the ansewer stayed the same. (Will work with any trans.) He didn't say they would clear z-bar, just that it would work with any trans? Dynatech does not know if theres will. There headers were built on a automatic car.

Quick Reply: hooker headers an mounts?? for 69 camaro ls1 swap