Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

hard-wiring Satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default hard-wiring Satellite radio

I have a Sirius Inv2 my dad gave me and I'm mounting it in my car - I've already cut a plastic bezel and it will fit perfect in the cubby/cig lighter area of my console. I can run the antenna up to the driver side of the crash pad (there's a perfect spot that's hidden) but my issues now are power and signal

1) I want to avoid using the FM transmitter thing and would rather somehow hard-wire it directly to the antenna if possible. Is there some type of adapter that will plug in-line with the antenna wire? If something like that does exist, will I have to tune the factory monsoon unit to a specific station or will it somehow override the radio?

2) It came with a cigarette lighter plug - can I just cut off the plug and wire it to the power wire for the cig lighter I'm removing? The Sirius unit has a power button fwiw so it doesnt have to be a keyed power source. Would I need some type of fuse or will soldering/heat shrink suffice?

TIA
Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

bump.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is in an F-Body the problem you have with the cigarette light is that it has constant power all the time whether the car is on or not. So your Satellite system would be on until you pressed the power button on it. It is small draw and won't kill the battery fast or anything but it does draw and over time can be an issue potentially unless you remember to turn that off.
There is an adapter that wires to the antenna for a more direct signal but I have to look it up. I thought I had one from a system laying around here somewhere. I will look and see if I can find it.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, don't cut the cig plug end. Pick up a new cig socket and just hook it up to the switched power from your radio. Second, Bestbuy carries a wired FM modulator (model FMDA25) for satellite radios that goes inline with your factory antenna. Just be sure you pick up antenna adapters to go in and out of the FM modulator.

Last edited by Atomyk; 06-10-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added clarifying info
Old 06-10-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Atomyk
First, don't cut the cig plug end. Pick up a new cig socket and just hook it up to the switched power from your radio. Second, Bestbuy carries a wired FM modulator (model FMDA25) for satellite radios that goes inline with your factory antenna. Just be sure you pick up antenna adapters to go in and out of the FM modulator.
good to know - there just happens to be a Best Buy less than 100yds down the street from me!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
If this is in an F-Body the problem you have with the cigarette light is that it has constant power all the time whether the car is on or not. So your Satellite system would be on until you pressed the power button on it. It is small draw and won't kill the battery fast or anything but it does draw and over time can be an issue potentially unless you remember to turn that off.
There is an adapter that wires to the antenna for a more direct signal but I have to look it up. I thought I had one from a system laying around here somewhere. I will look and see if I can find it.
Thanks bud, lemme know. Best Buy's is $30 but I will need adapters for the Monsoon H/U as well

I assume there will be no draw if I turn the satellite off, right?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You're right - there will be no current draw when you turn off the satellite radio. Also, to reinforce Atomyk's statement... DO NOT cut off the cigarette lighter adapter and hardwire to the car because the car is 12V and the satellite radio is 6V. Doing so will let all the smoke out of your satellite radio and like all electronics, once you let the smoke out they won't work anymore.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You're right - there will be no current draw when you turn off the satellite radio. Also, to reinforce Atomyk's statement... DO NOT cut off the cigarette lighter adapter and hardwire to the car because the car is 12V and the satellite radio is 6V. Doing so will let all the smoke out of your satellite radio and like all electronics, once you let the smoke out they won't work anymore.

Ok, that makes more sense - is there any other option besides trying to hide 4ft of coiled wire under my console?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

First, my mistake... XM radios are 6V, Sirius radios are 5V. tss-radio.com has a hardwire kit that has everything you need including the 12V to 5V converter for just $20.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
First, my mistake... XM radios are 6V, Sirius radios are 5V. tss-radio.com has a hardwire kit that has everything you need including the 12V to 5V converter for just $20.
thanks! that site has everything I need

Quick Reply: hard-wiring Satellite radio