General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

RPM Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM Problem

last nite i was driving home and i noticed my rpms were acting funny.along the way home i was goin about 40 mph,the rpms were at 2000,when i let off the gas completely the rpms immediately drop to its idle which is 500-600.then if i give it the gas and get back up to 40 mph,the car will go,it doesnt seem to stall or anything and the rpms rise back up to the correct level.it doesnt matter how fast im goin,as soon as i let off the gas,the rpms drop to its idle.another thing i noticed is when im at a complete stop,and i give the car gas the rpms immediately rise to about 1500 even when im goin 10 mph.i'm trying to explain as best as i can,sorry if im not being to clear.

the engine has 104k miles,magnaflow exhaust,slp lid,aftermarket plug wires,underdrive pulley but thats it.

i hope this isnt a major problem,the car was running fine 2 days ago.so if anyone ever experience this or a similar problem any input is appreciated.thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

What kind of transmission? (That's where the sensor lives.)
Old 06-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its an a4.i believe the transnission is slipping.i went test drive it and under normal acceleration it feels like the car drives ok and gears switch smooth,i dont hear any type of knock or grindin noises,but wen i floor it the engine revs up before it switches gear.ima change the trans fluid and filter and see wat if that helps
Old 06-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You might re-post to the transmission section. That's probably where the issue is.