Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

droppin the 6 speed tranny help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default droppin the 6 speed tranny help

i bought my car 2 weeks ago and the clutch was slipping. im only 19 but pretty mechanically inclined but wow what a job to get the tranny far back enough from the motor to drop! wats the trick? my dad said may have to take the motor from the mounts and pull it forward to drop the tranny? any help or info would be great! my car is also missing almost or loosing fuel unless u ease in the throttle is that a fuel filter? been doin that for almost a week
Old 06-09-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You dont have to move the motor forward. Did you remove the shifter? You need to do that if you havent.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

missing could be a burnt spark plug wire loose ground?

take out center console, shifter and all boots and harware.... y pipe and all connections... a trans jake will be your best friend along with a standard jack. driveshaft and trans mount. 8 bolts of the trans connected to bell housing and slide back there are numberous videos and right ups on how to do it on here
Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

does the car have solid or poly motor mounts? if it does you may have to loosen them so you can angle everything a bit to get it out

if it has stock motor mounts though dropping the trans really shouldn't be bad at all
Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

me and my buddy just did this last weekend, took us a long *** time but we managed to wrestle it out without moving the engine at all.

you have to remove the shifter and just pull that sucker back
Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned there is room to remove it if you have everything disconnected. Make sure shifter and all wiring connections are unplugged. Those are the only things that would hang you up. Dropped mine 4x last spring during my rebuild (which turned into months....).
Old 06-15-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

whats it hitting? you dont have to pull the motor forward its a fairly easy job it should take less then a hour to pull out
Old 06-15-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't take it off where the bellhousing meets the engine. Instead, break it where the transmission meets the bellhousing. There are 8 bolts there. It is much easier, and much more room to work. Took me a while to figure that out, but it sure saves time!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not hard
I've pulled mine atleast 15 times and my friends atleast 5

Drain the fluid
Remove tq arm
Remove driveshaft
Remove shifter
Remove y pipe
Use jack to support the cross member and remove it
Lower jack a lil bit
Unbolt 8 bolts from trans to bell housing
Pull back enough for you to reach the two 10mm bolts holding the slave in the trans
Lower jack more
Pull trans back with jack
Slide out slave from shaft
Lower and pull back trans

If you don't mind bleeding the clutch after then disconnectthe braided line tithe slave at the trans and you can pull the trans out and leave the slave on the shaft

Pm me if you have any questions and I will give u my number

One extra thing I did was remove the pins that align the trans to the bellhousing. With them on it was a bitch to put back on

Now
To remove the clutch you will need to remove the bell housing 8 more bolts and it should come off with some minor motivation. Lol

You will need a clutch alignment tool when puting on the new clutch

AND MAKE SURE YOU TORQUE DOWN THE FLYWHEEL BOLTS AND PRESSURE PLATE BOLTS TO SPEC

Over tightening them will give you headaches. Remember I said I pulled it like 15 times lol
Old 06-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Like the rest of them said.. Take it loose where the tranny meets the bell housing.. I did a GTO last week and we didn't even have to drop the exhaust.. So much easier that way.