Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

A few quick AVH-4300DVD wiring questions

Old 06-09-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Default A few quick AVH-4300DVD wiring questions

I'm wiring the H/U harness to the Metra adapter that plugs into the factory harness.

I have a few wires left and I'm unsure what goes where. Yes I have read the instructions Whitebird, LOL.

On the H/U harness I have;
blu/whi=system control
orn/whi= connect to lighting switch
yel/blk=mute
pur/whi=reverse input
ground

metra harness;
blu=power antenna
orn=illumination/dash light
orn/whi= dimmer
ground

on the H/U harness does the wire that goes to lighting switch, do I use the illumination/dash wire or the dimmer wire?

for the mute wire, does that connect to the SWI-PS adapter?(I haven't received it yet)

Is it ok to hook the grounds together or do I need to physically ground the H/U to the dash somewhere?

Thanks for helping me out.

J
Old 06-09-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

on mine I used the illumination wire, and the mute wire is not connected.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I'm wiring the H/U harness to the Metra adapter that plugs into the factory harness.

I have a few wires left and I'm unsure what goes where. Yes I have read the instructions Whitebird, LOL.

On the H/U harness I have;
blu/whi=system control
orn/whi= connect to lighting switch
yel/blk=mute
pur/whi=reverse input
ground

metra harness;
blu=power antenna
orn=illumination/dash light
orn/whi= dimmer
ground

on the H/U harness does the wire that goes to lighting switch, do I use the illumination/dash wire or the dimmer wire?

for the mute wire, does that connect to the SWI-PS adapter?(I haven't received it yet)

Is it ok to hook the grounds together or do I need to physically ground the H/U to the dash somewhere?

Thanks for helping me out.

J
Blue/white - remote turn-on wire for use with an aftermarket amplifier. If you are retaining the factory amp then it is unused.

Orange/white (and orange) - there are usually two illumination wires, the orange/white wire is designed to connect to on/off power from the headlight switch for the parking lights, the orange is designed to connect to the dash lights. The difference is that the orange/white just lets the head unit know when the lights are on and its display dimming is handled internally. The orange wire allows the HU to dim its display in sync with the dash lights. Most modern HUs use the orange/white wire and have a menu option for adjusting the amount of dimming.

Yellow/black - the mute wire is mostly obsolete these days. It was designed to connect to external equipment like phones or GPS that would allow them to mute the music when they operated. You won't need it.

Purple/white - reverse input is used when you have a backup camera installed. It gets connected to the backup light circuit so that the HU knows when you are in reverse and turns on the camera display.

You should connect the HU wires color for color to the Metra harness. The orange/white wires should be connected together and the orange should be left unused. You should have a blue power antenna wire in the Pioneer harness to match the one in the Metra harness.

Pioneer likes to have their HU chassis grounded in addition to the ground wire in the harness. It's not really necessary (the HU will work fine without it) but it's no problem to use a short wire to connect the HU chassis to the black ground wire - it doesn't have to go to a different ground location.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks man!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Pics?
What of? I can get you whatever you need. The H/U isn't installed yet. I'm waiting on my bezel to get here along with my mounting brackets.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Show a pic after your done. What car is it? I really want to put a double din in my SS.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sure thing. I've been waiting on parts for three weeks now.
I should have everything this coming week and have it in sometime during the weekend.

Oh the car is a 2000 Firehawk.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Whitebird one last question.

I know you said the blu/whi is the turn on for an aftermarket amp which I am using.

What about the power antenna wire on the metra harness? It's the only wire I have left and there are no blue wires on the H/U harness.

Thanks again man.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did some googling and it seems I should hook the power antenna wire to the switched 12v source to operate the antenna?

I'm such a newb.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Got the H/U in last night. Unfortunately its apprently defective from the factory and doesn't work right.

It turns on but does all sorts of weird things. **** happens I guess.

Here's a few pics of the install. I will probably do a thread later on. Nothing special about it really.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Something might not be plugged in properly?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I double checked everything. It does turn on. The power antenna goes up, the antenna is hooked up on the H/U.

When I try to select a radio station it starts searching and won't stop no matter what button I push. I have to turn it off and back on to get it to stop. When I try to go to the any other screen it goes there but won't stay. If I hold the button down it will stay on that screen but it goes back when i let off.

The face only opens 1/3 of the way when i press the eject button.

I used the short bolts that came with it to secure the mounting brackets on the side.

I tried resetting it but it made no difference. The whole thing is just screwy. LOL. I'm waiting to hear back from the sponsor I bought it from to find out what I need to do.

Hopefully they are able to send me another new one and swap it out. I hope I don't have to send it to Pioneer and have to wait.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A few quick AVH-4300DVD wiring questions