Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

240 ls1 t56 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 ls1 t56 build thread

I am going look at a 91 240sx to do a lsx swap on saturday, and I was wondering if there are any specific things that I should look for/avoid. Im not sure if the car is an auto or man, or if that even matters. All I know right its cheap has a decent body and a clean title.

My goal is to make a nice street car with 4-500rwhp, and not go broke doing so. I am a dealership technician, this will be the first time I swap a car to a non stock motor(although I change motors and trans regularly), and have minor fabricating capabilities(110 mig). Im really looking for advice on how to go about this without making mistakes other have already been through. Right now I am thinking of getting a gto ls2 and trans and the swap kit from hinson or sikky. But I really have no idea if that is the best route or if there is better/more cost effective way.

edit: I forgot to mention I want power steering and ac, Im not worried about cruise. Also was wondering if dbw or cable is the better way to go?

Thanks for any help, I will continue searching and reading all the threads and forums I can.

Last edited by BaddillaK; 06-19-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

How much are you wanting to spend total? I'll be the first to say its not cheap and i even went the 5.3l route(still not finished). Check the frame rails for rust along with the shock towers. Join silviav8forums.com and check out what it takes..
Old 06-09-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Id like to have it done for 12k in parts or less if possible. I joined silviav8 earlier and have been looking. I may end up goin the 5.3 or lq route. What are you doing for mounts oil pan and exhaust? that seems to be the biggest issues to get solved.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you want drive by wire or cable?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 06-10-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It really doesn't matter to me, I want to take the least headaches route. It seems like it would be easier to adapt the stock pedal and cable instead of goin dbw, but I have never done anything like this and wanted some advice. If it's a pain in the *** to do a dbw pedal mount and get it working properly I'd rather stay cable.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Picked up a 91 240 auto Clear title for $500. Previous owner said he thinks it threw a rod, I didn't investigate, no reason to. The body is very straight no wrecks only a couple minor door dings and no rust, clear is peeling. I plan on doing a s15 conversion once the motor swap is done.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 06-11-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Looks nice. Great deal IMO. I just seen one of these but black or some dark color a 1/2 hour ago in the parking lot while shopping. I noticed a purse in the seat and actually thought about leaving a note asking if she wanted to sell it. I better try to finish my 1st swap first though. Wife would flip. LOL
Old 06-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BaddillaK
Id like to have it done for 12k in parts or less if possible. I joined silviav8 earlier and have been looking. I may end up goin the 5.3 or lq route. What are you doing for mounts oil pan and exhaust? that seems to be the biggest issues to get solved.
Well atleast you have a good amount in your head, this swap will def nickle and dime ya to death haha. Im using the Moroso custom gto front sump(runs 460 with pickup tube) and im having a local guy make the mounts using the dimensions that Otto posted up on silviav8 of his old mounts he used to make. Looks like a clean shell though. Exhaust ill be doing c6 manifolds and custom from their on back. Plan on going turbo eventually which is why I'm not going longtube headers.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Nice find. As far as DBW goes, make sure you get everything needed for it from the same donor car (PCM, Harness, TAC Module, Pedal). It will make it a lot easier.

If you go with cable, make sure the PCM will work with it. There are certain PCM that have a chip in them that allows you to switch to cable. I'll see if i can find the post, there is one floating around here somewhere.

If you go with a truck motor, you'll need to switch the accessories to f-body or corvette setup. Depending where you get them from, this makes a truck swap comparable in price to LS1 swap. There is a guy on silviav8 that fabbed up his own also.

I am thinking of going with the Moroso pan, either from them or Fueled Racing. It's like $600 with filter relocation and dipstick.

If you can weld you may be able to save some money and fab up your mounts. I am also going to try to fab up my own headers. JEGS and Summit have kits for like $250-$300 that has a flange and a bunch of tubes.

Also keep an eye out on car-part, i have found some good deals through that site as well.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Here is one, with some pics of the IAC Driver I was talking about.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...v-hwd-nos.html
Old 06-19-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the info guys. I have my motor pulled, and I purchased a motor and trans with everything today. Its a fbody ls1 t56 setup and hopefully it will arrive in a few weeks. I will post more pics and info once I get the motor. I am slowly picking up parts that I need for the car, all I have for the swap so far is the motor/trans purchased(not here yet) and clutch/brake pedal assembly out of a 240 since mine is an auto. I also picked up some s13.5 conversion fenders(west yokohama) and a clean carpet set.

I am still undecided on what I want for mounts but I am leaning towards going with sikky for mounts, oil pan, and headers. Anybody have any bad experiences with sikky?

Last edited by BaddillaK; 06-19-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

got a bunch of swap parts in from sikky, looks like some nice quality. I am still waiting on the motor and trans to come in before real work begins. I am trying to decide on a color to paint the car right now so I can get the engine bay trimmed out, Im kind of leaning towards a light to medium grey color at the moment.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a thread dedicated to paint on one of the national 240 boards.. http://zilvia.net/f/chat/173624-defi...f-said-58.html
Old 06-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Nice, looking forward to the updates! I'm planning on doin this same swap in my S14. Are you doing the harness work or having someone else do it? Also, are you staying with the stock rear diff or going a different route?
Old 06-26-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for that thread lq4s13, but now I am more torn between 2 colors lol, neither of which I actually seen it that thread but got ideas for. Im debating on porsche meteor gray, or some sort of tricoat deep red like corvette crystal red. Either one I would probably have a black roof and chrome or polished wheels.

Im going to do all the harness work myself. As for the diff I plan on starting out stock(open 4.08) but will change later once I find parts. I actually have a lead right now on a early 90s q45 diff. If I can get that I may be able to get the vlsd and 3.54 gears out of it and installed in my stock carrier.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Nice, a guy a few towns over from me did his harness work and said it wasn't too crazy so I'm thinking of attempting mine aswell. How's the customer service so far dealing with sikky?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I made my order over the phone and spoke with Justin. We had a little trouble with my credit card fraud protection because of the amount and location of the transaction. Justin was really easy to deal with and professional. I got my tracking info with in a couple hours of my intial call and recieved all my parts 3 days later. The only thing I didnt get from them yet is my driveshaft, and I was told up front that it was on about 1 week lead time before shipping. So I must say I am very happy so far with sikky. Honest, professional, quality, I can't really ask for more than that.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Good to know, and I like the Vette color. Give the car more of a Chevy feel
Old 06-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Teching In

I agree, vette wins!

Quick Reply: 240 ls1 t56 build thread